1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Aftermarket Clutch Slave - Thoughts Please

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Tans826, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Hey all

I just identified the source of a small leak coming from the clutch slave. Always wanted to reduce the pressure of the clutch lever as after a bit of town riding my hand is killing me.
    Looked on eBay for the seal kit and realised that some of the after market slaves reduce the pressure and aren't too much more expensive than a seal kit. What are people's thoughts / experience with changing it?

Looking at this one if anyone has had any experience with the company. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201087661526&globalID=EBAY-GB

As always any advice welcome.

Cheers Dave

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Stick with an Oberon sourced from the UK. Obviously more expensive but tried and trusted by numerous Ducati owners and you have a UK seller to go back to. Most after market kits should have a spacer for pre 2000/2001 bikes where the slave cylinder was a different design and the clutch pushrod is shorter. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oberon are top dogs but fair bit more.

4. OBERON are a good standby, very reliable and well-made. Loads of folk use them, including me. Are you sure you want to order an unbranded item from Hong Kong?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. That's why I asked the question lads, really appreciate the advice. In your opinion is it worth doing? Does it reduce the pressure much?

6. Oberon, great kit, work well and genuinely offer a big improvement. I tried an 'German unbranded one' that was crap and only about £20 cheaper, so went Oberon on my 848.

Also the stock ones do have a slight habit of failing... do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Cheers guys will spend a bit more then if it's worth it.
    Appreciate the advice

8. Had an Oberon on my 900ss for over 8 years and have not had any problems with it, it does have a slightly easier lever action and stops any discolouration of your hyd fluid.

9. I bought a carbon airbox from mc moto and it was excellent quality and fit and arrived quickly considering it was from Hong Kong.
    but for the slave I went with oberon as like has been said, good rep and after market service. Lost a screw out of a bar end mirror and a phone call to them saw 2 turn up 2 days later foc.
    how ever I didn't notice a massive change in clutch lever pressure, worth doing yes, but in my case on the 748 , not a big difference.
    thinking about it though, I put stainless springs in at the same time, maybe they are stiffer?

10. I have used slave cylinders from three different manufacturers including Oberon and also MC Moto along with a German company, MPL, that used to advertise billet parts on eBay including slave cylinders that were of very high quality.

So far I have found it difficult to tell the difference in pure use terms between any of them.

I have found the quality of MC Moto parts to be surprisingly good despite them coming from Hong Kong and being very cheap. I have bought several sets of levers from them, all having been proved to be very good and well made. They did send me a set of levers once with the wrong colour adjusters, an email soon had a set of the correct ones on their way to me free of charge.

If you want proven quality and reliability from a UK company then Oberon are the way to go, but don't underestimate some of the cheaper options as they too can be just as comparable. Personally I wouldn't rule out MC Moto in particular.

MPL-Tuningparts: Tuningparts for Ducati, Porsche ... (Welcome Page)

#10 Red998, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. I have an Oberon clutch slave on my 748 and was well worth the money. No more aching wrist and is also a good quality product. Highly recommend one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Have Oberon slave on my 749, but fitted an MC moto to a mates bike and its no different from the Oberon tbh.

If I'd have known about MC I would have gladly bought one, If I need a clutch slave in future I will be getting an MC.

Look at the Avanti Race Parts and the MC Motoparts.. They're remarkably similar.

wont let me link to the image so here is the page

Online Shop (Clutch Parts) - Avanti Race Parts - Ducati Parts and Accessories for Road and Race Motorcycles. Services for Ducati Motorcycles. Race prep, Paintwork, ECU Repairs, Anodising and more!

[​IMG]

13. Got it in one - A lot of the aftermarket stainless steel springs are far stiffer then the original items so you would've approximately cancelled out the lower effort of the slave!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. yea, it's going to be a lil while before I get the 48 on the Rd again ( probably get 49 roadvworthy first) but it needs new fibers so I might fit the standard springs after a test ride to see the difference. Then try the quiet mod.

15. I've had an MC Motoparts slave cylinder on my 1198 for about 8k miles, no problems at all.
    maybe i've been lucky, but the main reason I bought it was because it has the biggest piston I could find so less effort to pull the lever (but longer travel).

16. My stainless springs came from @antonye and they are perfect.
    Got the stainless bolts and anodised cups from him too. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. now you come to mention it..

18. Got something against Antonye then, @VtwinDave ??

19. Yes he has, which is why I've blocked him and can't see his posts.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information