1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Aftermarket White Tailpiece

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TNR, Sep 12, 2018.

1. I got an SP-type tailpiece as a bonus with a recent 916 purchase. It's a replica, and not a very authentic one as the below pics will show. That red stripe is too fat, for starters.
    Still, it was free so I'd like to use it if possible. The issue is the angle of the threads for the tail-light bracket. Not even close to fitting my '95. I'm guessing different years had different brackets?
    Thoughts?

20180910_164946.jpg

20180910_164231.jpg

2. They all had the same brackets, I thought

3. I had exactly the same problem with mine. I used a heat gun, very carefully, to heat up and "straighten" the holes. Worked ok and no damage to the paint. I can't see any other solution.I put a bolt in the hole and heated it until the plastic got soft and then pushed the bolt sideways to realign it properly. Very scary but it worked

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. That's bloody ingenious.

I was contemplating dremelling off the threads and then doing a fibreglass/resin rebuild at the correct angle.
    Heat gun is way easier. Thanks mate, much appreciated.

5. No problems. Mine looks good I think. From one particular angle there looks like there's a very shallow dimple from the procedure but otherwise you can't tell (see photos). I don't know who made them but they obviously made a mistake with the alignment of the threads. The only other thing is the red is a bit brighter than on the rest of the bike. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information