1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ageing 900 Ss Owner Attempting The Spanners...

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Robert Sloggett, May 17, 2020.

1. Yes indeed !

Same goes for quite a few other electrical parts .
    Some of the sensors on my bike are clearly BMW bits , and are cheaper to buy as such .

TPS is made by Weber ..... so why buy it from Ducati ?
    Oh yeah .... for the thrill and joy of your part coming in a Ducati bag ...
    .... I think not .

I love the bikes , and I'm happy enough to pay their asking prices
    but I'm much less happy to have my pants pulled down on the price of replacement parts .... : unamused:

2. How did you get on with the cables and brake pipes? I tried to put risers on but brake pipes wouldn't reach.

3. The throttle cable was a bit of a squeeze but it's fine, i managed to free up enough distance and no pull on the cable when turning the headstock right to left.:upyeah: I did see if there was another longer cable availible but no joy but in the end turned out ok and no issues with brake lines etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. So a quick update on the "lockdown" work on my poorly 900ss ie:
    1. New injectors fitted... throttle bodies also ultrasonically cleaned. Reassembled. Still running rough
    2. Tank emptied, quite a bit of crud! filter thoroughly cleaned. Temporary fuel tank set up to observe back flow during running. Still running rough (tank on the bench having a good clean and airing!
    3. Pulled the plugs, front good spark, rear no spark (hopefully I'm onto something...) swapped plugs and the fault jumped to the front. New pair of plugs bought, fitted. Still running rough
    4. Took air filter off as I could hear a popping on the LHS air trumpet under the tank but as these are not linked to a cylinder I wanted to see if I could ascertain which cylinder was popping. 19 out of 20 it was the front.
    5. Resistance checked across the coil packs (input side both connectors to ht cap) identical on both. Voltage on running 12v tickover rising to 13 under load. Still running rough and also noticed idle was c 1400 when warm when normally it was c900 rpm
    6. Remembered the only sensor that would have been moved during the tear down was the throttle body sensor. Limited knowledge (newbie error!) positioned it just at the point of no slack. Tried the TPS in different positions and observed tickover rising and falling. Set it at normal tickover (900 rpm) AND it seems to run much smmother through the range.
    I am going to run it from cold tomorrow and see if it is still OK but I read that the TPS is normally set with a pin reading on the ECU but you need a Mathesis tester??? is this the case or can it be done with a std workshop multimeter and if so can anyone teach a newbie through it so I dont fry the ECU !!!!!!

cheers all
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nice to hear some progress being made, i can't help with ECU query but i'm sure someone will put you right:upyeah:.

6. Good to see you are making progress.
    You can set the TPS with a meter, no need for Mathesis. It is fiddly but not difficult. The bike would probably benefit from a full throttle body setup and the TPS setting is critical as it sets the baseline for the fueling and ignition advance across the range. The whole procedure is given on Brad Black's website here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Geoff Baines at Baines Racing, Silverstone said that it is essential to make sure the fuel filter is up to scratch. But what a pain they are to change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I was about to quote Brad's site as well. I've done it myself and it got rid of about 80% of the poor running at 3-4000rpm. I spliced in a sealed connector into the TPS wires so I can just pop the cap off and measure the voltage while setting up the tps. It's extremely sensitive to small movements but very doable. You will need quite a few attempts as when you snug down the tps screws the voltage changes.

9. A pain in the fucking arse, the one that was in my 900ss ie when i changed it 5 years ago was stamped 2001, the one it was born with, changed it a totally different bike .:upyeah:

10. Being in North Wales, if you need a lifeline with testers or meters etc, you have Richard Green in Ruthin at Moto-R. Ducati factory trained, ex Woods M/Cs where he'd been since Woods opened.

11. I just wanted to close out this week by saying a HUGE thankyou to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Up to this point I had never had the courage to work on the Ducati, with 2 stroke 1970/80 trials bikes being my thing and level of confidence. Needless to say I have probably replace bits that were not needed and created a load of re-work but as of about an hour ago I am pleased to say that she is starting first time, no hesitation on tick over and revving clean with a smooth pick up. I have also learnt how to use a multimeter (well the starting point.....). The tank is just drying out now after a good clean inside so I can inspect the level of debris left in there, but hopefully its almost there.....

• Like Like x 7
  12. Onwards and upwards!!:upyeah::motorcycleduc::fist::)

• Like Like x 1
  13. 50k in a month!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. I'm a busy man!!;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Please , Please I beg of you, change the title, instead of Ageing, use MATURING. Please (LOL)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. You Ole’ boys swopping your SSs for Monsters just because you have turned the half century do make me smile. I got there well over 20 years ago and if it hadn’t have been for this pandemic I would have been off on the bike at sparrows this coming Friday to Assen to watch MotoGP.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Road test ..... not good Im afraid and I think I have ran out of road on my skillset and tools available and maybe a call to the dealers to give it the last push (and tell me where Ive gone wrong)!
    Whilst it starts clean and idles nicely and stationary revs up the range OK, the general engine note its more open and resonant than it was before. On the road when you slowly increase from 1500 up to 4000 you can feel its fluffy and not clean. Its not missing like it was before but its not clean and if you hold throttle position eg at 3k revs you can just feel a hunting. Above 4500 revs it seems much better. Anyway, Ive learnt loads! and learnt my limit..... thanks again for everyone's advice..... I will go back to building my BSA Bantam trials bike for a bit!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information