1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Air Filter Types...

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Chris.King1, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Most probably been covered before. Any preference in which type of air filter suits these bikes?

I currently have a trumpet sock in the airbox as I have race airtubes, however my new cm composit tubes have the provision to use the standard air filter set up....although as it doesn't split in half, looks like it will be a tight fit to put standard filters in.

Just wondering if anybody has had experiences with both set up's and which performed better. I still think the oem Ducati set up within the tubes are better set up than these trumpet socks.

Any advice, much appreciated, as naturally all manufactures claim their set up is the dogs bollox.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Haven't use the sock type so can't comment other than they are supposed to be slightly restrictive, I have carbon air tubes that don't split and use the standard filters in them. When I say the standard, they are designed to take standard but when fitted I could see a slight gap in a couple of places, so I now buy a sheet of good quality filter material and cut my own slightly larger all around, they are a nice snug fit now.
    Steve

#3 Birdie, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  3. I use BMC. I have carbon race air tubes which don't take standard filters
    I went BMC after reading a fair bit about different filters. The foam things over the bell mouths appeared to be the worst thing to have.

4. those BMC are pricey :D just thinking to change mine as well so it would be good to know what is best for the standard air tubes

5. You won't get much better than Pipercross standard fitment .
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I use pipercross in my 996

Didn't run any filters in my 853 track bike

Big sock filters are very restrictive .

7. Pipercross according to most engine tuners are supposed to be the best option as they restrict air flow less then the others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Your airbox is a Hermholtz resonator. BMC and bellmouth filters tend to disrupt this effect, leading to loss of performance. Pipercross filters are pre-oiled, washable, and way cheaper than BMCs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The difference in power on my 748 was barely measurable between the two systems but the Pipercross ones are much better at filtering the air. Probably because open cell 'foam' filters have barely any solid volume to disrupt the resonance and certainly significantly less than all the gubbins that come with the shower injectors fitted to Rs and the more tuned variants. Only concern for me on bell mouth filters was if the throttles are not carefully set up the bike can spit back into the airbox. Not an issue with proper and careful set up but without that or with approximate or unskilled set up it was a little worrying. The filtration for the air tube ones can be ineffective if they don't fit well. The cartridge ones fitted to the air box openings seem to be a good compromise but are too expensive for what are at best marginal power gains. For me the best compromise is the Pipercross sock ones as they are more effective at cleaning the air. The 748 is now over 41k miles and compression still right up there so it seems to have worked.

10. I have the Pipercross sock in the airbox, but worried about any spit back as mentioned, but easy to remove and clean...maybe Pipercross in the airtube might be a good compromise?

11. I had an 'over the injectors' filter fitted years ago. While it was on a dyno, the dyno guy said how crap they were so we did back to back runs with and without the filter. I seem to remember a gain of about 8 bhp with the filter removed.
    Needless to say it wasn't refitted, and I used the type that are fitted to the air box where the runners enter.
    Theory is that the filter disturbs the air flow as mentioned earlier and reduces the air box volume.
    On the flip side if you crash and loosen the tank, then this type of filter will stop crap going into the engine.

12. another vote here for the BMC panel filter kit, i used them on my 996s as i had previously used the sock filters and had had experience of the filter being pulled into the inlet.. not ideal.
    the BMC kit is not cheap, but simple to fit to the air box, and a quick blast with an air line to clear out the debris in the filter, job done.

13. is it worth going for genuine filters at all if I am not looking to get any gain in power but just want to keep the engine reliable and safe for longer? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Heard standard type is best. If u have a back fire with trumpet style they could catch fire

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. No surprise and a predictable result unless the two set ups are fully mapped separately they are not comparable. I have to say the results on my 748 don't support the loss of power argument unless we are talking maybe 1 bhp on a fully mapped set up. I would prefer the ones that fit over the airbox holes as it looks to be the best set up - its also the most expensive.

16. Here are the before and after graphs from a 996SPS. We had been working on the engine before removing the filter, you can see what happened when it was taken out....It is now running 150 rwhp with filters in the air tubes. dyno.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. Just look at the surface area between stock(pipercross) and BMC..stock has around 40% bigger surface.
    I assume this will allow more filtered air to pass, only way to achieve the same result with a smaller surface is to reduce the filtering...also as someone pointed out above might affect the resonance.
    For racing/track days, I would probably run with just a 1mm mesh filter to avoid a low pass bird strike ;)

18. Late to the thread (again), I have BMC cassette filters fitted to the 748R air box on my 853. Reason I chose the BMC was I had fitted after market race air runners (not the DP ones that had internal filters) and was unwilling/put off fitting foam or sock type filters. When it came to the test, I was more than happy with the final figures which even pleasantly surprised the guys doing the dyno work. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information