1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Air Filters

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Mongoose, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Looking to change the air filters on my 749. A quick search hasn't thrown up much of a choice. OE are obviously still avalible from dealers or Pipercross seem to be the only other choice. Any recommendations or experience with either chaps ? Ta

2. I had performance Ducati on for a year with no issues. Swapped to pipercross last month. Harder/pain to fit. Bike sounds a bit more "roar" but it might be my imagination.

3. What makes them harder to fit ? Are they a different shape to the OE ducati ones ?

4. Not really. Was just a pain getting the bolts for the air tubes back in.

@Old rider had the same issue. Not impossible, just caused foul language.

5. I've had them out already under some kind guidance from a very experienced friend and I agree that they are fiddly to do. Why put them there ? and why use such awkward bolts ???
    Did you notice any more power gain with piper cross over the DP ones ?

6. I had OEM out and back in no problem, pipercross were trickier.

Can't really say on gains, nothing noticeable but I was running the performance filters before. do think she sounds deeper.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It was a serious pain. The bolts go in at an angle but the material the Pipercross flange is made of is thicker and squidgier than the oem and the holes in it are not angled, so getting the bolts through the runner, then through the flange and into the threads behind feels almost impossible, largely because it's all tricky to get at behind the frame tubes.
    In hindsight, the thing to do is to drill the holes in the filter flange larger and at an appropriate angle.
    Why don't Pipercross do that???

#7 Old rider, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. I think the claimed advantage of the Pipercross is same flow as DP but better filtration. So at least equal filtration to oem but same flow gain as the DP

9. Does seem raspier have to say.
    Like you, could be my imagination though
    ''Tis performing better than before but that's going to be largely due to having the plugs fully home.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information