1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Air Quality Certificate For France

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Veetwin, Apr 24, 2018.

1. The French now want all vehicles to display an Air Quality Certificate (Crit'air Vignette)
    https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande-ext/cgu
    They are cheap to get and are on-line EXCEPT I cannot find the CO2 value for the Multistrada anywhere, its not on the V5 (it should be - my car has it on the V5) it should be shown in the v7 section of section 4 of the V5.

Anyone got a number for the Multi? If not I'll make one up :)

2. Are they mandatory for all vehicles now? I thought they were only mandatory for vehicles intending to travel to or through certain areas (cities).

3. only required if you are travelling in Paris or Grenoble and Lyon-villeurbanne.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I am told the French are rolling the requirement out across many towns and cities in France now, Lille being one of them.

5. I got a mauve Crit'Air sticker for my DVT Multistrada in 2017. But then I did ride through both Paris and Grenoble in July. The process for applying was quite straightforward. You have to email to them a scan of the V5, and the image file has to be saved in a format which is not bigger than a certain size (400kB). I didn't have to make anything up.

Incidentally on my 1200 the relevant figures are:
    CO = 0.868
    HC = 0.084
    NOx = 0.073
    [CO2 is not required].
    I wonder what the corresponding figures are for the 1260?

#5 Pete1950, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  6. I did the same for my 1260 and now have to find somewhere to stick it.

7. Visited Grenoble last year and bought one on-line. As OP says, not expensive. The selection process asked what bike I had from a series of drop down menus, the MV was included. Certificate arrived in the post a week or so later. I didn't have it on display, just available in my tank bag. My 996 riding touring buddy didn't bother and he didn't get his collar felt.

8. On the windscreen - unless you are contemplating swapping to a different windscreen, in which case somewhere else.

9. Not so keen on the windscreen. I was hoping to get away with sticking on the under side of my number plate. Did this with my Swis road tax a few years back.

I wonder how strict they are about it

10. The sticker has to go either on the windscreen or one of the front fork legs I believe. It stays with the machine.

11. This, the lowering of speed limits, the requirement for CE labels on your gloves, the previously shambolic law (repealed because the minister which brought it in had a conflict of interest) which stated you had to have a breathalyser kit on you .... along with the appalling standard of driving they're all great reasons to not visit France if you're touring on a bike. Such a shame as it has many beautiful places to see, particularly in the Alps.

France has a real road safety problem and so many people die every year, so I understand that they need to do something but I'm convinced they just use motorists like cash machines. The only thing I'm aware of that they've done to reduce road deaths but which doesn't hit the motorist directly in the pocket is the campaign of removing the trees which line the long stretches of country roads - presumably because people plough straight into them.

I'm off to Germany in a few weeks time, Le Shuttle all booked up. As we do every year, we brim our tanks in Folkestone, ride off the train at the other side and don't put our boots down until Belgium for our first refuel stop. If that shit stops us going through in the future then we'll just start getting a different crossing and avoid it completely. These stupid knee-jerk laws must have an economic impact on tourism.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eh? In my personal experience, the standard of driving in France is far in excess of ours in UK.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. The form is looking for the CO2 number (for the Subaru it is 197) and it wont take a CO number of 0.640
    1260 numbers as on my V5 are
    CO - 0.640
    HC - 0.075
    NO - 0.057
    Seems the 1260 is cleaner than the 1200 :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hi Pete.

I'm surprised we aren't all dead within a few minutes of riding?
    My 3.5t van is only
    CO=0.313 g/km, but my 2014 MST1200PP is CO=1.473!!!!!

Level of CO Health Effects, and Other Information
    0 PPM Normal, fresh air.
    9 PPM Maximum recommended indoor CO level (ASHRAE).
    10-24 PPM Possible health effects with long-term exposure.
    25 PPM Max TWA Exposure for 8 hour work-day (ACGIH).
    Pocket CO TWA warning sounds each hour.
    50 PPM Maximum permissible exposure in workplace (OSHA).
    First Pocket CO ALARM starts (optional, every 20 seconds).
    100 PPM Slight headache after 1-2 hours.
    125 PPM Second Pocket CO ALARM starts (every 10 seconds).
    200 PPM Dizziness, naseau, fagitue, headache after 2-3 hours of exposure.
    400 PPM Headache and nausea after 1-2 hours of exposure.
    Life threatening in 3 hours.
    Third Pocket CO ALARM starts (every 5 seconds).
    800 PPM Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 45 minutes; collapse and unconsciousness after 1 hour of exposure.
    Death within 2-3 hours.
    1000 PPM Loss of consciousness after 1 hour of exposure.
    1600 PPM Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 20 minutes of exposure.
    Death within 1-2 hours.
    3200 PPM Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 5-10 minutes; collapse and unconsciousness after 30 minutes of exposure.
    Death within 1 hour.
    6400 PPM Death within 30 minutes.
    12,800 PPM Immediate physiological effects, unconsciousness.
    Death within 1-3 minutes of exposure.

15. As my mate pointed out, no worries as

We don't do cities

so don't worry,

Plus they can nick us for:
    1. Speeding
    2. No Hi Vis Vest
    3. No spare Bulbs
    4. Speeding
    5. Incorrect official documentation.
    6. Crossing a solid white line.
    7. Failing to stop at a STOP sign.
    8. Noise.
    9. Speeding

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. You forgot speeding, even when you weren’t :joy: Andy

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  17. I didn't say ours was any better. I'd disagree that the standard is "far in excess of ours" and even it was that it would still mean it's shit. Maybe my perception has been tainted by being involved in a fatal road accident caused by a French driver who's actions directly caused the death of his own wife? Maybe it's because the French government themselves acknowledge that they have a problem with road deaths in 2017 saw a 15% increase over 2016? Maybe it's because 1,400 more people were killed in France than in the UK in the latest stats? Colour me pessimistic, but I fucking hate riding in France.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Have been touring in France and Spain every year since 2004. Other than the hi vis and spare bulbs I have never bothered with the rest. Have had many a helpful gendarmes/Gaurdia stop and ask if we were lost or just to look at the bikes. They never asked for anything legal, just being helpful.

Also found their driving by and large to be vastly more respectful of bikes than the uk. I even followed a caravan that nearly went in the ditch as the driver was so keen to give us space to pass him. Generally they part like the red sea to let you get through if they can.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. been there, done that. 750euro fine, 6mnth ban and another £500 to get bike trolleyed home. :)

@Rainman well I guess you can only go by your own experience, but Ive always found it to be great compared to here. But I live within m25 and everyone is a bad driver down here. :)

20. Having lived here in France and ridden bikes for 14 years, I have never been stopped and asked for a hi vis, neither of our bikes has one on board.
    Can someone please show me where there is a French requirement to carry spare bulbs on a motorcycle? I don't think that there is. There is a requirement, just as there is in the UK, that all lights must be working, but that is different to carrying spare bulbs.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information