1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airbox Lid - Superlight

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Fraser, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Hi all. Can you help? I need to find an unmodified airbox lid for my MK1 900SL. Previous owner had over-tweaked during restoration (featured in Practical Sportbikes Mag issue 34). modified lid is upsetting fueling for road riding so after an unmodified lid. Presume the same for SS and SL? And anyone know of one knocking around? Cheers

2. Hi, I don’t have a spare, but you can look for Monster lids too as they are the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The SL one will be made out of unobtainium or something equally as light!
    :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. the superlight / SS / Monster airbox was the same throughout the production run.
    The problem you have is the lid as most got chopped up for the open air filter conversions, and vendors on the bay want silly money for them.

However... I'd just buy this...
    https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=53198
    and two of these...
    https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=7862

I would imagine @nelly can get them bought for you. :)

is your bike totally standard jetting then?
    If so, just buy the airbox lid bits above.

On the stein Dinse website parts fiches, look to the 900ss FE fiches for the most up to date part numbers and issues for the carby ss family as a starting point.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. The air box lids are now longer available from Ducati, hence the silly prices being asked.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Patch the holes/whatever? Not lovely but it's not visible...

7. My monster had the mod done and the underside of the tank covered to make a seal. Ran perfectly.
    Should be able to go up on jets to get it set up right.

8. ok thanks Nelly. :)

@Fraser order from Stein Dinse with the links above.
    I think they have an Austrian supplier who makes stuff for them hence the above being available and in stock ready to ship. this is how I got the speedo cable guide for the front fork which through normal channels is no longer available.

I have a spare airbox lid which I was ready to cut up for the K&N filter, but for sixty quid to your door for a new lid from Stein Dinse, what's not to like. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. fantastic feedback thanks guys! Excuse my ignorance when it comes to fettling; I just love em and ride em.

Actually @nelly looking at my pile of paperwork, appears you serviced my superlight in 2016 and 18. and judging from your invoice notes, you also had to check/tweak fueling then.

My tech has already put some tape over the gaps and its better just reckons that new lid will sort across the range. Main jet was a 150, now changed to 120.

Thanks @Sev great input cheers. So it looks like i can order two pipes and cover either from Stein or the same from UK with Bike parts above that @WAYNE lined to? same sort of price so presume going to be easier with UK order?

• Like Like x 2
  10. if they're available in the uk then yes, go for it as Stein Dinse will charge 10 euro for shipping.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I found the only real downside to Stein Dinse was the shipping charge other then that they are spot on.:upyeah:

12. Aye, quick and speedy but it's worth doing either as a collective or when you place a nice fat order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stein Dinse currently have reduced VAT 16%

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I guess it's this one ?

IMG_3082.JPG

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Cheers, it's an awesome Ele :upyeah:

16. the open airbox lid is one of the "easiest" mods that can be done on a 900SS/SL .. http://www.bikeboy.org/900carbairbox.html
    it should make the bike run better with more midrange not worse. My superlight came like that and has a dynojet kit fitted and runs lovely though the intake roar is enough to rattle the eardrums . However that can quickly turn crap when the needles needle/jets emulsion tubes on the BST carbs start to wear as they always do for which I'd say swap to FCRs or other flatslide carbs (which have their own/different foibles to manage).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information