1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Airbox Seal

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by 748rdave, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Fitted a new seal a few weeks back, all looked ok at the time. Today I have noticed there is a slight gap between the seal and tank at the front . Has the back half of the seal compressed more allowing the tank to rise slightly. I know the fuel load has gone down, but not by much.
    The tank location pin grommet is fine as is the pin.
    Annoying because I can’t remember if the old seal was the same, change due to cracks with age.
    I asked myself is this normal ?
    Then tell myself, I wouldn’t think so as it allows unfiltered air in.
    Or does the air coming in through the front ducts via the filters override any possible leaks on the seal.

2. The newer seals are a lot taller then the older ones. They made them bigger to try and seal the airbox a bit better. Have you got the top hat spacer fitted order the rear fixing grommet?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks bettes, yes the spacer is there. Is the location pin adjustable to pull the front down ?

4. You’ve bent the tank front retaining sticky out thingy ... bend that back up a bit

5. Thanks Andy,
    Can't see how that happened, but will have a look tomorrow as my time allocation in the garage has now expired for the day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dave, when you reassemble put a very light film of vaseline on the tank face of the seal and on the front locating pin rubber grommet, the tank will then more easily move to its proper seating position and seal much better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. You need to treat it like it’s a durex....

8. Now sorted slight bend upwards on the location pin and some lube on the seal.
    Thanks for the help.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Just bringing this problem up again, my 916 airbox seal to tank is doing the same thing. The new rubber seal is holding the tank up a fair bit. Some have suggested bending the front locating pin but I’m not sure I can do this with out damaging the soft alloy pin .
    Should the tank sit on the two rubber covered bolts at the front which secure the airbox as mine is sitting quite a few mm above them. If only I could get my hands on the older version rubber seal.

10. Yep, a bit of a trade off… with the older seal, the tank would sit better but there were too many gaps letting un filtered air straight into the airbox. The new seal will fit right but just needs a bit of persuasion. Iirc, my tank didn’t sit on the grommets with the thicker seal.

11. C19BCD62-2841-48BF-BBC4-45BA5DD71562.jpeg I use a 13mm ring spanner over the pin to adjust to sit correctly. The pin and bracket are soft and malleable. Good time to check bracket bolts aren’t loose and locktite them in place.

12. Have a look if you’ve got the early 94 airbox as well. See the 2 lumps circled. 2C2801A2-94AB-4334-B2A4-FDECDA9BCDAE.jpeg

13. Right I’ll give the pin and spanner trick a go and will locktite the two little bolts, good tip fellas. And yes Chris it’s the early airbox which is on her. If this doesn’t work I’m going to take the bloody seal off and I’ve a landrover defender seal which I think will be soft enough to use.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information