1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aircooled Track Bike Engine Options?

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by shirt, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Hi,

Looking for advice as this is outside of my area of knowledge. I plan on speaking to an engine builder but I'm currently stuck in the arse end of nowhere on rotation, so plenty of time for project musings...

I've been thinking about an aircooled track bike for some time, largely drooling over the pierobon and similar specials. To this end I've recently purchase an 848 rolling chassis which is in need of a lot of love but was also absurdly cheap and complete bar the engine, rearsets and electronics.

Engine wise I was initially looking to buy an 1100 evo lump [monster or hypermotard] but have read a few threads where the recommendation has been to use a superbike engine casing for the additional oil capacity, which along with a larger oil cooler makes sense to me in terms of longevity. However this raises the question of whether it'd be better [i.e. cheaper] not to bother with a complete donor engine and instead to buy used/new parts with which to build one? This would help budgetwise by being able to drip feed £ into the project whilst opening up tuning options. E.g. I could buy heads from ebay and have them ported in UK before shipping them out to me in UAE.

If I went down this route, what would the shopping list look like? I.e. what casings, crank, barrels, heads etc. Lightest possible casings preferable, and I'd like to increase the bore and lighten the rotating assembly. What would be a rough budget [for parts only] for 115-120bhp?

I guess its a vague scope, but like I say this is not my area of knowledge. More than happy to discuss and open to suggestion/opinion.

Cheers.

2. I have to admit to not being able to answer any of your questions but...your project sounds fun.
    I have an M1100S Monster which has a peach of a motor however it doesn’t sound like that would suit you from what you say.
    I took it to Brands once and had such a giggle on it so that motor in an 848 chassis would be a laugh I reckon. Depends if you want to just have fun or if you are desperate to have a smokin motor that can beat all the other bikes?
    Personally, I am just after the fun of track days so shoving the 1100 motor in a super bike chassis would do it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You could just add clip ons, rear sets and sticky rubber. Direct all the road rubbish. And it’s like a Superbike with 1100 motor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Agree. When I went I had my 749R front wheel and 916 magnesium Marchesini rear with Supercorsas fitted. No rearsets then but have them now. Needed a steering damper.
    Now have Hypermotard forged wheels and P4 4 pad calipers too so would stop well too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hi Ricky,

My road bike is an M1100 Evo so I know where you're coming from. I did a couple of skills days [tuition/trackday] with the bike last summer but have since mildly modded it with O2 sensor and exhaust valve delete, SC Project end can and Cornerspeed remap, plus Maxton fork inserts and rear shock. Its a proper hooligan and I love it! Crap around town [albeit its my fair weather commuter of choice] but comes alive with revs and a free flowing stretch of tarmac :D

I am a tinkerer at heart and whilst I came to 2 wheels late in life, I have a few quick cars I've built myself including my 400bhp Radical if I want to go balls out. I don't think I have the reaction times, or the balls!, to be truly fast on 2 wheels, fun factor is definitely where this build is coming from. I merely want a bike that's right for me and 110-120bhp of old school grunt in a lightweight and sharp handling chassis will fit the bill quite nicely imho. My better half has a track prepped CBR600RR so as long as I'm faster than her, its all good :D

I do like the engine character of the aircooled 2V and think it could only improve with more pep and and less rotating mass, certainly enough to give it a whirl. I don't want to throw money at diminishing returns and would gladly sacrifice a few bhp for more money in my pocket and longer rebuild intervals. I just need some pointers as to what will work and what won't before I start speaking to engine builders. I'd prefer to give them a more defined scope of works than a 'what if', if you know what I mean?

ETA - i fitted adjustable rearsets and stickier tyres to my evo, but have kept the OEM bars. I don't want to make it into a track bike tbh as it's great for what it is and I'd miss not having that. The complete 848 sans engine, rearsets and electrics only stands me 500quid so I'd prefer to create something fit for purpose yet retaining the elements I already know I enjoy and, more importantly, can maintain at home.

• Like Like x 2
  6. If I were you I would stick with the reliable 1100 motor with maybe a couple of little tweaks such as lightened flywheel, removed O2 sensors, exhaust valve, free flowing filter and a remapped ecu. That would be a good start point before going for a full rebuild.
    Chuck that in a stripped down 848 chassis with light wheels, good brakes (ditch the standard 848 brakes as they are shite), possibly upgraded suspension (Ktech kit?) and a custom exhaust and see how that goes.
    If it doesn’t perform after that, chuck cash at it and take the reduced reliability.

#6 RickyX, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I’m with Ricky. I’d keep the motor fairly standard, maybe lower squish ?? But soon as you start tuning ime they become far more fragile. As a standard motor, pretty bullet proof.
    If you’ve got the chassis already, I’d guess the only way to know would be get an 1100 engine and see how it lines up.

Good luck! Interesting sounding project :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. always liked the idea of an tuned air cooled engine in a stripped down 749/999 chassis

can't tell you a shopping list for certain but I have seen a hyper 1100 heads built onto 848 crank cases

theres lots of good info on 2v tuning here
    https://www.ducati-kaemna.com/tuning

• Like Like x 2
  9. i hear what you're saying and it is likely the way i'll go to begin with. the more i read the more i have an idea of what i want to do, but its remarkably spendy. i loved bikes at the outset compared to car projects as doing chassis/brake/suspension mods is comparatively laughably cheap. seems the inverse when it comes to the engine though, a pair of ducati forged pistons is the same cost as a set of 4 for my ecoboost!

Any tips as to where to source an engine? Only one showing on ebay and it looks a dud to me.

Are there any notable differences between the hypermotard and monster variants of the 1100 evo?

10. thats a bugger to hear, are they not M4's?

11. M4 on 848 EVO only (and 1*98).

12. Almost built a very similar bike but ran out of time at the last step. I had a 1098 frame, ds1000 cases milled for the different swing arm pivot location (lower or higher I can't recall). Had the internals balanced, hot cams, 1100 pistons, etc but between lack of time and a back injury ended up sticking an 848 engine in. I still have all the bits but quite happy with the 848 :)

One thing you'll need to be mindful of with a 1098 frame is the rear cylinder exhaust outlet as it is VERY close to the rear shock and may limit gas flow.

If my 848 ever goes bang, I'll build up my 1100, as indeed it would be a great bike and cool project.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing some progress!

#12 andrewinuk, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  13. cheers. people keep asking me why i don't just buy a replacement 848 motor, but that's no fun...

here's the bare bones. is it possible to tell what year from the pics? i won;t be home for another couple of weeks to get the frame no.
    8a8f585d-0f56-4453-b942-5b6440bece21.JPG 8a8f585d-0f56-4453-b942-5b6440bece21.JPG 45c9d05d-cbd3-436f-b937-4eef0ae4dd84.JPG 1714cad8-9b44-4f9a-a750-3f1f81f3138f.JPG 10d58203-8508-4278-8c7f-197d0212d81a.JPG

14. looks like it could be a later evo chassis they are m4 calipers

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Looks like its just being dug out of a sand dune :)

16. Evo. 2010 onwards iirc. It has a steering damper as standard, the older 848 you had to buy a clamp to fit one

17. Close! It was mounted on the wall of a bike dealer in Dubai for several years. It was bought by one of my customers to rob for engine spares when his race bike went pop, with the rest sold on to me.

Great news on the calipers and steering damper mount, saves some spend. Trying not to get carried away, as much standard equipment as poss that can be stripped and rebuilt is good enough for now, I want to be out on it next season [October].

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information