1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpinestars Gp Pro Tech-air Sizing Woes

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by tzoykas, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Dear all

I'm just writing this to let people know of my experience (which is a negative one as far as sizing charts are concerned) and possibly ask for advice.

I have decided to go for a full leather suit and after looking for available models and designs I opted for an Alpinestars GP Pro Tech-Air compatible one. The main reason for choosing this, apart from the looks, was the ability to fit upgraded protection and the option of attaching an airbag later on. However, since there is no shop that carries expensive stuff for me to test the fit where I live, I had to do the shopping online. This led me to a very extensive research as to what the chosen size should be. I've read all the size charts that Alpinestars offer, measured myself countless times according to the exact procedures Alpinestars suggests and together with my prior experience of using only Large (or size 52) gear so far (from many different manufacturers), I decided that the same size would be ideal for the suit as well. So I ordered a size 52 (L). Note that according to the charts, I wasn't even at the top end for that size but somewhere in the middle.

To my dismay, the suit was small. I know that leather suits take some serious breaking in, however, it was so small that I literally had to struggle to get the suit on, let alone stay in it with the zipper closed to the top. When I was standing I could feel the suit pressing against my shoulders and crotch and when I tried to sit on a chair the strain was even worse. Everything was very tight, to the point that the extra zipper on the calf did not provide any relief (there is an extra zipper on the back to let the leg circumference expand a bit more to accommodate thicker legs). I couldn't even imagine what it would feel like with the extra back protector on).

The size discrepancy was further verified by the pocket sizes for the extra protection I purchased (chest and hip panels). They are smaller than the suggested protector size for the respective suit size. The chest protection ends up being a little bent in order to fit in the pocket and the velcro pads for the hips

I believe Alpinestars have their sizing wrong. I am currently in the process of returning the suit to get a different size one but I am having doubts as to whether one size would be enough. Even by looking at the charts, XL is already too big, but the real experience says otherwise. Considering that I will have to fit a back protector that takes space, would a two size jump be too much? Does anybody else have a similar experience?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance

2. Can't help you really sorry. I tried on 7No. one piece suits this weekend, 2 Dainese, 1 Furygan, 2 Held and 2 Alpine Stars which were the Motegi V2 suits.

I have a Dainese Laguna Seca 1 piece suit at the moment in a size 50 euro. It was a pretty good fit when I first got it but looks a bit baggy at the rear end nowadays. However, this weekend I found the Furygan and Alpinestars to be a better fit in terms of what my real size is. I'm not really a 40 inch chest for instance, more like 38 and I felt the Furygan/Alpinestars were closer to my actual size. However, the Alpinestars were the most comfortable and had a better leg length. I'm 5' 10".

There are various recommendations knocking about on how you should measure yourself up for a new suit, including the next size up if your fitting a back protector. What I've found is these recommendations and sizing charts just don't work for me either. Every suit I tried on this weekend which was supposed to be based on the same size was different. I couldn't even get the Euro 48 Dainese suit over my legs. One of my legs suffered quite an injury a long time ago and has never recovered in terms of muscle growth and I can tell you the leathers wouldn't even go over this leg!! Dainese sizing is different with every suit I've tried.

I understand you can't find somewhere to try the suit on so makes the whole purchasing of race suits a real pain.

#2 ResB1299, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. Hopefully you have regulations similar to those we have here in U.K. that allow you to return any mail-order item for exchange or refund!
    A* gloves have similar size issues. I wear mediums but trying many pairs on I found large variations in finger length. Women's clothes are the same, apparently :)
    I am of slim build and never managed to find an off the shelf suit that fitted properly. I ended up paying loads for a made to measure item. That was some 14 years ago and I am still using it today, so I consider the cost justified.
    Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  4. I am actually waiting for a new suit, hopefully coming to me by the end of this week (the seller helped and never protested, so as far as the seller is concerned the experience was very positive). However, what you say just verifies that sizing (not only for Alpinestars apparently) is a hit and miss affair. At least I know I am not alone here. I will post again as soon as I receive the new suit to let everybody know that I hopefully got the correct size the second time and maybe help somebody else in the future with a similar experience.

5. As an update, I just received the new suit which is size 54. It is a very firm fit (together with the protectors) but the sizing seems now accurate. I just need to run it in. No discomfort in the crotch and armpits areas.
    According to Alpinestars the correct size for my measurements was 52. Since I am normal to thin I consider the sizing off. It would definitely be even more off for somebody that is my height but a little more hefty. My measurements are:

Height: 183cm/6 feet
    Chest: 103cm/40.5in
    Hip: 101cm/40in
    Waist: 97cm/38in
    Crotch/inseam: 82cm/32in
    Thigh 56cm/22in

Although I consider this info specific to that suit only, I hope it works as a good guide for prospective buyers.

P.S. Pockets for chest protectors are still smaller than they should be and Alpinestars doesn't seem to answer any e-mails.

6. As a note I see so many people wearing 1 piece suits that are way too big for them, they are not meant to fit like a comfy pair of slippers. You want the body armour to stay where its meant to be, not slip and slide out of position. Look at a GP racers suit, they fit like a tight glove.

7. I totally understand that, this is why I said that size 54 is a tight fit but a correct one. The previous one (which wasn't just snug) restricted the blood flow to my arms, and I could feel an intense pull on the shoulders and crotch area. It's a different thing than being snug. I just didn't fit at all in the previous one.

8. I was just making a general comment, I fully understand your 1st suit was too small.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I only I could get an intense pull in the crotch area. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Have you tried HMRC?, they can probably help with that....

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information