1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Alt Cover Off - Oil Drain Required ?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by PeteW, Feb 22, 2021.

1. As above, is it possible to remove the alternator cover without draining the oil, or will I end up with an Exxon Valdez incident in my kitchen? Previously I've dropped the oil as it was being changed anyway, but I've almost convinced myself that I might get away with leaving it in.

Pete

2. You 'll need to drop the oil. Have a look at the height of the oil in the window and trace that around to the other side and see where it is relative to the bottom of the side cover.
    Catch it in a container. If it's too new to replace run it through a filter when adding it back in.

3. If you can safely lean it over you can remove the alternator cover. There will still be the same residual oil in there as if you had drained it

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I don't drain it, I recon it's about a litre that comes out in a flood so big tray needed.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  5. Why not drain it anyway? Takes the risk of a flood out of the equation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks for the replies Leaning it will be tricky so I'll go ahead and drain it. Just wanted to know if I could avoid 1 messy operation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Best one controlled messy operation rather than a panic situation!

8. In the LT Snyder book, after completely draining the oil before removing the alt cover, he recommends using a small block under the rear stand left leg to slightly tip the bike to the right. He says this is important in order to avoid oil spills on the mating surfaces of the engine case and alt cover as oily surfaces do not fare well with sealants (like Three-bond) and this is how you end up with a leaking cover, in time.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information