1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative Kill Switch Wiring To Relay Energiser Pin 85; Ok?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by chueewowee, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Would this alteration to kill switch wiring be an improvment?

On my 97 ss the old kill switch interrupts in series the power feed to coils/CDI, after the main power relay feed via fuse 2 to ingition, fuel pump and starter solonoid.
    We are aware of issues with voltage drops over a long run to ignition and, failing run switches, and possibly transients too.
    I beleive they are necessary for MOT, fitted to bars if originally fitted, and are not a bad idea in principle, to avoid fire.

I figure now, whilst re-wiring my harness, that fitting a kill button to interrupt the energizer at pin 85 of main switched power relay would be better as a modification, because the kill button would then be handlling lower current, so less prone to deterioration.
    ( Also Possibly lower risk of transients too if relays somehow tend to cancel transients, or lower currents are less affected - that I do not know. Or maybve, its worse for transients).

Appreciate your thoughts.
    John

2. Can't ever recall mine being tested. However, might be a case of if its it fitted it has to work, but how it works (I.e. how its wired) is not relevant.

3. Thanks anyway for reply, but clearly what I'm looking for is not thought about MOT procedure, but thought on a wiring scheme as a possible improvement.

4. Well I tried it and it works fine, so no kill switch deterioration issues, with consequent voltage drop and transients entering direct ignition wiring run to the switch any more. This ignition circuit only relies upon the main relay switch, and the kill switch performs the same function as the main ignition switch.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information