1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternator Wiring On 1991 851 Sp3...

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by AndrewS, Jul 29, 2017.

1. A quick question. How many wires are there from the alternator on the above bike - two (both yellow) or three (two yellow and one red)? On mine there seems to be two yellow wires (connected to an Electrex RR) and a red one not connected. This is at the top of the bike; I can't easily see how many wires go into the alternator. Does this make sense?

Thanks

Andrew

#1 AndrewS, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. Looks like the same as the early 748/916 single phase which has two yellow going to the reg/rec from the alternator, there is no red coming from the alternator, the red from the reg/rec is sometimes redundant but possibly goes to the charging light which is not connected on some models.
    Steve

#2 Birdie, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  3. Steve

Looks like you're right. I disconnected the two yellow wires from the RR and got an engine speed-related voltage across them (up to 60-70VAC) so I think the alternator is OK. However, when I connected everything up again, I get an engine speed related voltage across the battery of 12V (ish) at tickover up to 16V+ at higher revs. I think the RR has packed up - again... I've used Electrex RR51 units so far, but I'm thinking of going the MOSFET route this time.

Thanks again

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  4. After having two Electrex reg/ rec failures on my 748 I went for a shindengen mosfet and after nearly six years it's still running perfectly.
    Steve

5. Yes 16v is definitely over charging, should be around 14 v.
    Steve

6. Yep, battery is probably frying! Do you remember what MOSFET unit you used and where you got it? Was much re-wiring needed?

Andrew

7. I'm doing the same upgrade to the reg/rec (FH020 from the eBay link, took just over 2 weeks to get to the UK), albeit my stator was knackered and needed re-winding....which I've had done 3 phase. Make sure if you buy the kit you don't balls up the crimps as they're nearly impossible to get - don't ask! If buying the kit I'd see if you could order a couple of spare crimps at the same time just for peace of mind. Some buy the Triumph lead and solder it in, but having gone to the efforts I had I didn't want any unnecessary joins in the cables. I am wiring the reg/rec direct to the battery as recommended by West Country Windings, as they said most rec/regs pack up due to poor earths and this is the best cure. The fact my wiring was ruined too helped the decision.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information