1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aluminium Wheel Nuts

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Kieran Walker, Dec 4, 2018.

1. I've got an 848 I want to tidy up over the winter

Bought some CNC Racing front and rear black aluminium wheel nuts to replace the corroded and unsightly old ones

I'm just now unsure whether to fit them or not? I'm worried they might not be upto the job or be unsafe maybe?

I know Ti ones would be fine but not wanting to spend that large amount of money on them

Any opinions or advice?

2. Given the torque that they should be tightened to there is no way I would consider aluminium nuts. They are also more like to create galvanic corrosion between them and the axle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Agreed.
    I have titanium front and rear and they weren’t particularly expensive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. As above. Go for Ti ones. Not much difference in price neither. Got mine from Podium Racing in the states.
    Can’t remember now but might have been about £60 for all 3 wheel nuts.

5. Personally I would not fit the ali ones, I'd rather save up and keep using the original ones before buying ti or stay with the originals.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Me,titanium on the ninesixteen front & rear and standard ones on the nineninesix:upyeah:

7. Being the smaller of the 2 Ducati rear hub sizes, the 848 rear nut is tightened to 174Nm after having applied a small amount of Shell Retinax or white lithium grease to the rear hub thread. As the CNC web site gives no specification for the solid billet of aluminium the nut is machined from, I’d hope that someone has done their maths to make it a commercially viable component. Would I use an aluminium nut to secure my 748R (same hub as 848) rear wheel ? No, I would not. I’d either buy a new OE part or save my pennies for a titanium one. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for the replies so far

Looks like I'll need to look into the titanium ones then

I'd just initially seen the Ti prices from the likes of Pro-bolt etc but I guess I can try source cheaper ones from elsewhere hopefully

9. Have you considered having your scabby OE nut sand/sillica blasted and replated ? Andy

10. Front one has an ally one as std..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. As FE said, stock front is ally anyhow. Get a fresh oem one?
    I’ve seen ally rear nuts split, on more than one occasion, and wouldn’t use them, not even on the lower torque small axle bikes. If Ti is too much, get the old ones replated or get a new oem one. They’re not too pricey. The finish is usually wrecked with alkaline cleaners, so stay away from those and it should last just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Had an ally nut on my 748 and then on my 916 for many years. Never any problem.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Did you ride with them on though Ricky...Or just for show:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Have front and rear on my 1299 & apparently no issues.
    Though now feeling a little paranoid

15. To box hill and back - 4 miles but lots of times :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Had ally nut's on my MV and my duc for a few years . Done up and undone several times, no probs

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information