1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I About To Be Conned ?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Diver, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Sold my sons Honda 125 on e-bay on Sunday the winning bidder it appears is a bike dealer.
    They said they will pay cash on collection.
    Now just received a message saying can they do a bank transfer when they collect the bike.
    am i missing a con here ?????? or am i just being over cautious ?
    regards..

2. Wise to be cautious , but simple answer is do not let the bike go until the funds are in your account , common practice paying by bank transfer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. So long as funds are cleared and in your account, I don't see an issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Not necessarily. Just ensure they are aware that they cannot actually take the bike until the funds have cleared into your account. If you can't access your account details online then phone your bank and ask them to confirm the transfer is complete. No funds received, no bike. Simples.

• Like Like x 1
  5. As above

If you're that concerned take a deposit before pick up and also knock up a bill of sale that both parties have to sign before handing keys over, that way you are covered in multiple ways :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. as an extra precaution move the funds to another account as soon as they hit :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. good idea

8. Thats a good idea. Always nice to have something in writing, to back the sale up. You could also do your homework on the dealer if you think something is amiss. Have you tried calling them? Do you know where they are located? Have they got a website? Are they a reputable company? Customer reviews, ebay feedback etc. There is a lot you can do to protect yourself.

9. Im quite up with this stuff and my wife is FD for a large company so not completely naive but there is always a con one step ahead so just thought I would see if i was about to learn a new one....cheers everyone

10. I differ to informed opinion because I'm as cynical as they come. Having stated that they will pay in cash and then backtracked, it screams CON. Andy

#10 Android853sp, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I'd rather have a bank transfer than cash every time !! Cash can be fake notes !! Just make sure you ring bank before bike leaves you, and if they have an issue with the few minutes you need to wait, then its a scam eh :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Doesn't really matter does it, as the OP is not going to release the bike until the funds have cleared. If he doesn't receive the money they don't get the bike.

13. many of my customers insist on paying by bank transfer as a point of principle. i agree, switch and cheques cost.

14. What are these "cheques" you speak of? :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Totally irrelevant ... If its a charge-back con, then the bank HAS to pay it back and you will still be liable for the refund regardless what account you transfer the cash to.
    Last bike I sold was done by CHAPS online at my home. They paid it in and it cleared within 5 minutes to me. But that was a private sale. Business sales are different, and if a business is in trouble the funds might not be there and it will all fall through at your expense. Just look how easy it is to set up a LTD business inc. accounts. They fleece a dozen people and POOF the business is gone.

Unless its a established business you can find online - with good reviews, I would stick with cash all the way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. yip exeige asked me the same thing once. *untrusting mofo emoji *

17. well this is interesting....the sort of problem i was worried about...maybe i should tell him to use PAY_PAL ?

18. That just means you'll be liable to your bank.

19. Why don't you post up the name of the dealer. Someone on here may have experience (good or bad) of dealing with them.

20. am i allowed ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information