1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Being Cynical?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by fight the streets fmd, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Quite frankly, being one of those EU citizens in the UK, ( Dutch ) people are asking me a lot "are you not scared" , well if the UK government really thinks that it is a good idea to kick out a few million EU citizens, then it is time to say goodbye and go home, since the Netherlands isn't exactly a bad place to live, is doesn't really face me, but I personally don't see it happen.( but then neither did the commonwealth people I suppose) I will miss the Colman' s mustard thou lol:yum:innocent:

#1 fight the streets fmd, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Never going to happen, this government would face a general election if they tried it and would lose.

3. The government has already said it won't happen. In any case, the worst scenario would be EU nationals having to apply for visa and work permits but that won't happen either (though it would be a perfectly reasonable policy) because May is committed to making it look like we're leaving the EU without anything materially changing.

4. yip, dont forget, its the "UK" minority gov thats promoting this, installing insecurity in our EU brothers and sisters, i have these convo's with my customers, i hear what they are saying.
    much was said about the Scottish First Ministers speech immediately after the EU reff, they, the UK gov and all its media focused on the call for a second referendum when really it was as much about quelling the fears of our much appreciated and needed friends from mainland Europe, where quite frankly, without you and yours we is screwed. the big players from the "Out" mob promised, or at least strongly suggested the Scot Govs would have powers over immigration and the FirstMinister was intending on safeguarding our EU citizens place within our society by using them.
    turns out it was bollox.
    again.
    btw, we have had a fair few instances where much need families from outwith the EU have been deported recently due to retrospective changes to immigration laws. the uk gov is a fucking joke, but in truth, it really aint that funny.

#4 finm, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  5. You can just imagine the google reviews for fins garage

"Decent chap and knows about cars and bikes but one minute he's telling me about my torque convertor and the next he's talking about politics. Be careful he charges by the hour and spend 5 minutes on your car and 2 hours talking about politics. The whole of the village know this special man"

"took my car to fins today as it kept making a noise, he asked what noise it made and I said grating but he said it sounded like gersss gerrssss"

"Terrible garage, took my car to fins today and as soon as he heard my English accent he told me to get out, something to do with Norwegians?"

6. hmm, thanks for the advert, you da man, but, as always, i switch off when the bull starts, and here is where you went wrong. and where i stopped reading, i charge book times, being the professional that i am, i dont see why i should charge for scratching my noggin wondering how things work or how i am gonna diagnose it. two guys working full time plus me, always busy, but i dont think i have ever sold more than 60hrs in any one week. a busy fool so i am, but feck it, i can sleep at night. with many many of my customers being English, best you save yer character assignations for those you spend yer day defending. :upyeah:

#6 finm, Apr 18, 2018
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  7. Hi Pete, are you free Sunday night to join our pub quiz team? A half and a packet of wotzits in it for you :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. The windrush is mostly a mistake for the few but as usual the whingers are making the most out of it.

The U.K. border agency used to be independent of government and in 2010, they were moving from one of their buildings where most of the Windrush documentation was held in paper form. Someone in the U.K. border force office there decided that the paper work for 40/50 years ago was no longer needed so there was no need to take it with them to the new premises. I believe the presumption was that after 40/50 years, most who used this access route, would have current and upto date I.D. papers/documents already

Following a home affairs select committee review in 2013 in regards to quite a few matters, the government told the agency it's practices were no longer acceptable and that the UK Border Agency would be abolished and its work returned to the Home Office. Its executive agency status was removed.

Since around 2016, a very small handful of cases have been raised about the issues around those who are rightly here but documentation has been an issue. Some seeking opportunist advantage have tried to tie the amount that came over, with the amount that have problems. The vast majority of those who came in through the windrush route have no issues at all.

Even the Barbados high commissioner could not give numbers but it is thought to be handfuls rather than hundreds. I'm sure it will be dealt with properly.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. It is common ground that a majority of the Windrush generation will have, at some time since 1973, become British citizens by (at first) registration or (more recently) naturalisation, or they will have a passport from some other country with an 'indefinite leave to remain' stamp. That is beside the point. The current issue concerns people, a minority of that generation, who being under no obligation whatever to obtain registration or naturalisation, nor to obtain any passport British or otherwise, did not do so. They were entitled to expect to live out the rest of their lives peacefully and securely in the UK, as provided by the Immigration Act 1971.

It was Teresa May as Home Secretary who introduced a policy of treating harshly not those just who were in the UK illegally, but those who were undocumented. She described it in terms as a "hostile environment". These innocent elderly people, in the UK legally, were to be forced out of their jobs and their homes, denied pensions and healthcare, have their bank accounts frozen and their driving licences suspended, detained, and in short be reduced to homelessness and destitution. Again, this was not inadvertence - it was a deliberate policy publicly announced at the time and enforced rigorously since.

It was and is a despicable and vile action. Teresa May has now apologised and promised to reverse it, which is better than nothing. There is no need for anyone to try and concoct spurious justifications for what was done.

#9 Pete1950, Apr 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. I feel you are being suggestive to a point of dishonesty Pete. The hostile environment for illegal migrants was a comment made many many years AFTER the destruction of the landing passes and is in no way linked.

To suggest the two are linked is to give an implication that these were destroyed to then remove people, which is a suggestion not only of some innacuracy but could be seen as down right lies.

As parliament is on now, it has been shown that the decision to destroy these records was made within the last year of the labour government in 2009, and was carried out by the border agency, not the following on Tory government.

Are you able to give any numbers Pete as to how many were/are effected or will you follow Labours line of insinuating all windrushers, which turns out to be very few?

#10 noobie, Apr 18, 2018
  11. What a clown. :grinning:

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Red herring. I have said nothing whatever about the destruction of landing records, which is a side issue. The policy of being nasty to this category of innocent old people is still nasty, whether those records were destroyed or not and whenever they were destroyed.

The government (in this context the Home Office) says it does not know how many people are affected, nor even whether any have been actually removed from the UK. They have apparently not kept track of this and have not provided any figures. So your reaction to this is to blame for the lack of figures, not the Home Office, not the government but - wait for it - the people who have suffered, the governments of other Commonwealth countries, and the opposition.

You are a piece of work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Not really, I asked as the government claims to not have any figures did you? This is because like so many echo chamber knee jerk comments such as bringing the "hostile environment" claim into a discussion about the windrush generation. Read your own post again, it's as clear as day what you tried to do and have been called out on it.

Thankfully now it has been cleared up that the order to destroy the documents came from the Labour party in 2009 and once again the tories are having to clear up labours mess, not for the first time.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Add the recent Starbucks debacle to this and what do you end up with... Aren't white people just so racist and shouldn't we be constantly apologising for everything. The BBC website endlessly runs articles about racism just to enusre we know just how nasty we British really are.

Ref Starbucks... The CEO will close 8,000 stores tomorrow to put all white staff members through racial sensitivity training. My effing blood boils!

#14 MaxDec10, Apr 18, 2018
  15. Starbucks need it. Well known how far-right eastern Europeans are.... :scream::poop:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information