1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Being Unreasonable

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Nostromo, Mar 29, 2019.

1. So i bought some magnesium painted rocker covers from ebay, i fitted them then set about degreasing the front of the frame with mucc off bike degreaser, some dripped down but immediately took the finish off the horizontal cover, im not happy as the rocker covers can get mucky and would need cleaning themselves and i looks like it has just had one coat with no top coat(i would expect this due to the price)
    this is the answer i got back from them.
    "I looked up that cleaner you used and read that it can be harsh on paint surfaces. You can send it back and we can repaint it. Let me know if that's what you would like to do."

DSC_0383-1350x2393.JPG

2. What was the cleaner you used...?

3. Muck off paint stripper by the looks of it, not recommended anywhere :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Weird - all the much off stuff ive ever been given has been shit...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. If they are happy to paint them. and you want the paint redone - whats the problem?

6. Honestly, it looks like you got what you paid for if you're saying "(due to the price)". Unless the painter has been explicit about the number of coats and specified a lacquer or not. Just my opinion...:upyeah:

7. Replacement paint is likely to do the same again next time, so isn’t really a solution.

You could pay to have them ceramic coated. That should save future problems.

8. £200 plus the 35 import tax, base price is £75 per cover

degreaser in question https://shop.wheelsmotorcycles.co.u...MI9Jmzj7un4QIVAojVCh3KuAElEAQYByABEgLTfPD_BwE

I have never had it damage any paint finish on any of my bikes even my look carbon road bike,
    as you can see from the pic you can see that just a running drip Stripped it.

9. I dont want to name the supplier but it is stated that a high quality expensive paint is used

10. Got to be honest, I'd expect them to duck this unless they've a reputation to uphold. What I know about coatings manufacturers, they'll turn it on the customer and you'd have to prove it was the cleaner and not brake fluid or something else that was corrosive. All they would do remedially is do a sample in their lab, with your cleaner, try to replicate it and then tell you you should have tested an inconspicuous area before use. Unless your painter wants to help you out of course and keep his reputation.

11. True, im abit cautious now, as they were happy to contact me next day when i enquired about alternator and clutch covers, but only replied after a week or so when i put in a ebay return request. for the amount i payed im going to request a refund for the one that stripped(so effectively paying for a standard rocker), no point in my shipping back to america to only pay import tax on another part that will strip when cleaned, and i will clear coat the other then replace both with real mag ones.

12. muck off made an awful mess of the mag head covers & engine casings on my first 1200 Multi. The stuff is used for wheels and thats about it for me on the bike or car. Caustic stuff, akin to that prewash acid the Poles stick on at car washes

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. They have almost certainly cleaned them and given them a flash over with air dry paint prior to sale. OEM coating would have been more durable than this.

Just get them painted yourself locally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maybe stuff of old, ive used it on all my bikes with no fuss

yup, main engine and frame coating show no signs of wear, ive contacted the seller and will wait for a reply, i will buy some real mag ones once my carbon tank sells (Should have done that n the first place).

15. Is there any chance of a refund sending the stuff back? If so, use the cash for ceramic coating.

They can repaint them and sell to someone else

16. sounds like the stuff that gotham cycles sells.
    There's a good chance that the paint wouldn't have been laquered over. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter how high quality it is. It's coming off under the power of a degreaser.

Find a decent anodiser/ powder coater and see if he can colour match. That's what I'd be looking to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yes, they have chosen not to reply to me, I will have to clear the one that isn't worn, and strip the worn one, and get it cerakoted with my original two. Glad I only bought the covers as I was going to get a clutch and alternator covers as well.....

18. Sadly all they do is splash that paint on.

When he first started advertising those bits he used to word his title so thst if you didn't read the description you’d think you bought the real mag ones.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information