1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Mad? Sell My 748?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by col748, Sep 4, 2017.

1. As the title suggests, do I sell my 2002 748s?

Owned it since 2002, I'm second owner and I bloody love it, but I just don't use it anymore.

Been toying with selling for a while now but prices vary so much, what do people think they are worth?

Its in great condition but has 26000 miles on it, few nice main dealer aftermarket add ons but all original stuff kept.

What you think peeps?

Thanks Colin.

2. So you use it about as much as you use the forum, 6 messages in 7 years :)
    Keep it and say hi every year o_O:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Keep it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Drain the fuel out, take the battery off, put it on paddock stands in the living room and keep it as appreciating art:joy:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. well it doesn't owe you anything as you've had it years, so unless your strapped for cash/space keep it and ride it once in a while!

6. I guess it depends on what you think its current value is? - If you expect 10k for it, put it away, if you only want 4-5k, nows the time to sell....

7. if you dont need the money do as suggested above. its only going up in value innit

8. Keep it !!!

9. if needs must and because im charitable ill give you a couple of grand its only worth one

10. There is always one who goes in too high with the first offer.... I'll give you £1500, if his offer falls through.

11. I've been looking for a while and tbh depends what it is, if it's a slab sided S model with the updated frame, but that mileage maybe £3750-4250 but the issue is that people will wait for one to pop up that's only £250-300 more money and has half the mileage. If u don't need the cash then keep it

12. Ask the bike what would make her more happy? :):)
    1. Stay in a room without fuel
    2. Rumble across the land
    Sell, let other rider enjoy the bike

• Like Like x 1
  13. If its not on display inside the house, and you never ride it - whats the point of keeping it?

14. .

Like you say I never use it any more, I'd be gutted to get rid but it takes two hours to get it out of the garage now with all the kids junk, don't see the point in keeping it.

Don't need more space, don't need the monies really although it would be nice, it costs me nowt to keep but why keep it?

Would be gutted to sell it, took it out for pics, even made the ad but can't bring myself to post the ad haha.

15. Feel similar about my 996 recently :-/

16. But how much?

17. Leave it where it is and decide in the spring but remove the battery and drain the tank (needs it anyway). Bikes are at their lowest price between now and Christmas, worst time to sell is November. Alternatively put it on an ebay classified at £6k for 4 months and wait for someone with more money than sense. You need to ask yourself how much you will miss it in 5 years when it is worth £10k. Have to say for mine (red MY02 S probably a very close frame number to yours registered on 1 April 2002 and built summer 2001) I use it maybe 2k miles per year and have found it has to be used regularly for me to maintain the body condition/strength to get the best out of it. Can't see me selling mine anytime soon and eventually in a few years time it will become a treasured restoration project - perhaps then I will get round to replacing the cracked temp gauge glass on the (white and apparently incredibly rare) clock set.

BTW don't believe the stupid prices in the classifieds on ebay, they are often speculative traders prices waiting for an aspirational Ducati purchaser with more money than sense/real knowledge of the brand or bike. I don't think yours is worth much more than £3-3.5k but ultimately it is worth what you can sell it for

#17 Denzil the Ducati, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  18. Personally if you dont need the money then keep it. Thats what ive done with all my motorbikes. Ive probably done 1000 miles on my Ducati over the last 4 years. The MOT ran out 2 years ago and ive not had the spare time to MOT it or use it. Ive done even less on my R1.

I keep them in the hope that one day I will have some spare time when the kids are older to actually go out & enjoy them again.

19. The prices they are advertised for rarely sell for those and most will see the same bike advertised week after week on ebay. So look in here at actual bikes that have sold and ebays completed sales to see what the market seems to be at price wise.

Using ebay's completed sales these same up, similarish in most respects
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-748s-/182715572017?hash=item2a8ab25f31:g:c9QAAOSwZA1ZkD4e
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-...221551?hash=item3f85973f6f:g:HqEAAOSwAk9ZpFOE

At that kind of money, I would look up how to long term store a bike and keep it. If however you've decided that it's a shame for such a bike to sit idly by and someone should be riding it, then research your price and sell

Do Not Sell My Personal Information