1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android Mobiles

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Nov 18, 2018.

1. I often try to listen to BBC Sounds when I take the dog for a walk using my phone. Mobile reception is pretty shit around here and the new improved BBC Sounds just gives up if I have the bare-faced cheek to walk into a really poor reception area (rather than just wait until reception improves in approximately one minute).

So, I am wondering if different phones are better at receiving a poor signal. I only buy unlocked phones for reasonable money. Since I refuse to put in many hundreds of pounds into a phone that I will probably drop/lose/sit on and have to replace then I am not looking for the latest model.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 atm. I like Samsung and this is my 3rd of various models going back to the S3, I think. What I don't know is if they are any worse or better than anything else on signal reception.

Anyone know?

2. Sorry, but Samsung have since introduced the S6, S7, S8, and currently the S9. So I'm afraid your S5 now counts as "stone age". Suggest an S7 if you want a phone which is reasonably cheap and not yet totally obsolete. Reconditioned ones are available if you are a skinflint willing to take a chance.

3. Huawei aren't a bad phone

4. It is whether they will give better reception. So, in an area of weak reception where there is still a signal albeit very weak, can I get the internet with a more modern phone. My impression is that they are more interested in the camera quality then anything else.

5. download in advance.....

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Is it the phone or the mobile network you are on.
    Maybe another network has better cover ?

Dual SIM phone ?
    HTC do a reasonably cheap one I think

7. Listening live...

8. Everyone is crap here. Been with Vodafone, O2 and now EE.

9. That’s a pain, not great where we are but EE and O2 ( or ones based on them) give an ok signal.
    Edit.
    Which doesn’t help you I know, sorry.

I’ve had iPhones for a while now but am fed up with the prices so been looking at cheaper android based phones.
    In terms of signal it seems the same on any iPhone I’ve got. I was using an iPhone 4 as a satnav in the car until recently and signal the same in that as newer ones, I’m guessing it will be the same with Samsung.

10. Every time I read the title of the thread I can’t help but think of one of my cousins in Italy called Andrea Mobile (pronounced Mob...eee....lay). :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Everyone's signal where I am is poor but with Vodaphone I get wifi calling
    Don't think you can get it on PAYG though

12. Unless you're competing on popmaster or reliant on current news/traffic bulletins not much point really. I bought a Xiaomi Redmi note 4 with 128GB storage. I download from BBC/ Spotify at highest quality setting. Then it doesn't cut out and it sounds better.

13. Tell the dog you are on winter, winter time. Download and then take the dog for a walk an hour later.... then "listen live" to the downoad.... everyone is a winner... the dog may remain suspicious. .

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Yes, I am on contract but you need a wifi connection which I don't have away from home.

15. I don't plan my listening entertainment for dog walking in advance! You think that I should? It may well be the news so that I can catch up on the latest lies from the politicians - or football on a Saturday to see how much West Ham are losing by!

16. Could you have a word with the dog and ask him to help boost your signal ?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. The answer! She's a bitch and may suit aerial! May be able to bluetooth it....

18. Have you considered a wireless with an ear piece?
    9_transistor_1056637.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information