1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Another Belt Change Post :d

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by BB1000, Jan 27, 2019.

1. So how many of you actually remove the spark plugs when changing the cam belts ... I personally dont think it's necessary and I'm sure dealers don't either

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Probably not essential but surely you would change the plugs at same time anyway.

3. Yep could do I suppose but the mileage I haven't done doesn't require new plugs lol

4. Ah I see. On my 1200s Multi I think it's 15000miles for belt change which I would have guessed it would be time for plugs too.

5. easier to turn engine over ..

6. never. unless the engine i am working on has vernier pulleys, i will rarely lock the engines up either. on a stone cold engine i generally over tension them by a tad too.

7. I last changed them 2 years ago ... Put exact fit belts on .... I did have some software for the tensioning but my old laptop died and can't remember what it was lol

8. Try the Gates Carbondrive app for you mobile and plug a mic in :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Just downloaded it ... Thanks matey, .... I'll be ordering two sets of belts soon as my girlfriend has a 1198 as well ... So going to be busy one weekend :D

#10 BB1000, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I would certainly remove the plugs. You need to be able to turn over the engine by hand and so why struggle?

11. Can't use these OEM ones on mine for professional reasons :innocent: but I have one set available - can do them for the Exact Fit forum discount price for you... £73.05.
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/ducati-oem-848-1098-1198-timing-belts.67445/

• Like Like x 1
  12. The pins of the turning tool shear off if the plugs are left in.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Ok so defo will remove the spark plugs lol ... Thanks Exige but I think I'll get both sets of exact fit belts :D

• Love You Love You x 1
  14. One I had to remake..
    20160122_202605.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wise words matey :):upyeah:

16. must be different in Scottish land

17. different strokes for different folks i guess.
    worked fine for me over the last 40years. the technique didn't work so well with exact fit where i ended up slackening off one of the belts again after a short run, as they where howling.

18. Can't see why you would need to. :thinkingface:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information