1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Another Cracked Speedo Display!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by DRR117, Mar 9, 2017.

1. I noticed today that my dash has somehow picked up a 2cm crack in the glass! At the top just left of centre. Nothing's touched it, I even have a speedo angels protector on it. How could it have cracked and will it be covered under warranty? The bike is only 9 months old (700 miles) and if they do replace it will the mileage get reset to zero?

2. I had mine replaced on my 899 under warranty. They will be able to keep your current mileage unfortunately. They told me it was uv damage and to keep it covered if left out in the sun even with a standard screen.

3. It was out in the sun today as I rode it to work. First time it's seen any sun since I bought it and it cracks. Great. :seenoevil:

4. Must be some other reason. Fingers crossed warranty sorts it :upyeah:

5. spoke to ducati hopefully going to get it sorted. IMG_4093.JPG

6. Ducati are usually really good for warranty claims.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I've had one already, hoped that would be the only issue in the 1st 2 years. Can't believe it's just cracked, if they do replace it how do you stop it happening again?

8. My 848 screen did the same thing and my previous Aprilia cracked it's screen also. I have a friend with a KTM 1290 that is on it's 3rd screen for cracking so it's not a Ducati thing. Sudden temp changes can do it. My 848 developed 3 hairline cracks in Spain on a warm day when I sprayed a foam cleaner on it to remove traffic film after a week of riding in rain. I presume the cold spray on a warm screen etc.

The bigger the screen I guess the more potential for cracking and I would imagine a TFT screen can get pretty warm internally.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mine went last year at Le Mans from spending the day in intense sunshine. It had been in the U.K. sun and had no problems. It was replaced under warranty with no issues.

Apparently the new screen module had a new part number so my dealer hoped that meant an updated part? Had no problems with my new one but I try to leave my neck tube over the dash if it's bright sunshine while parked up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Just got my 959 out of the garage and it's got a 3 inch crack right across the middle! I've never even had anything near it. Searched and found this thread so guess I'm going to have to take it to a dealer.
    Is the new part just the screen or whole dash which resets miles?

11. Whole new dash. Unfortunately you keep the mileage.

12. Yeah as meeton says it's the whole dash, mines booked in early April to have it swapped over.

13. Well my bike hasn't been mot'd and got 1200 miles on. So they won't be recorded. Unless ducati put it on a system they have on history of the bike. Looks like just a casing to me but obviously it's a sealed unit.

14. Mileage transfers from engine control unit I believe so it'll stay the same.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mine melted because of the DP tinted screen in 10 degree weather here in the U.K... The design isn't great for the screen and magnifying the sun. I have to put something on the dash when I park it up in the sun and even that has slight burn marks in it now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Shhhhh - VAG must never find out !

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Well ducati have accepted my claim and sending a dash for 10 days time. As you can see mine wmis quite a big crack.

IMG_20170404_57278.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Are these cracks just cosmetic or are they affecting the display?

19. Just cosmetic but I imagine they would be no longer water resistant either.

20. You let your Ducati get wet?!! :flushed:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information