1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Another Immobilizer Issue....

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Connor, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Hello interwebs!

About to set the bike on fire .....(aaaaand breath)

After having a bit of a strip and rebuild during the winter, I went to fire up the old girl and theres no spark and EFI error 37.2. I got the immo disabled by Avanti a while back but the ECU has been disconnected from power for months. Not entirely sure what to do now! I'll email Avanti and see what he recommends.

I can't remember if it had that stored EFI error before but just ran without it? anyone else have the immo disabled?

**lots of swearing**

2. Long shot but I had a poor earth connection behind the ECU.worth checking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Just got mine working again.
    I had a 37.3 error but it was a red herring, as was the fact the key/code symbol was blinking.
    Both still apply but the bike runs fine. Have you tried removing the shim from behind the crank position sensor?
    I did this and mine fired up, so I replaced the sensor for a new one one costing 25 quid, which Derek pointed me at.

4. The shim is dead easy to remove, it’s held in by the same bolt as the sensor, which you have to take out, then slip the shim out and replace and tighten the bolt.
    Replacing the sensor isn’t hard but you do have to take the water pump cover off, so the coolant has to be drained.

5. Didn’t ask if your pump is priming??

6. Yup, injectors working fine. Test the coils with JPdiag and they're fine, just not sparking while cranking unfortunately.

Literally just put brand new pipercross air filters in, first crank over it backfires through the throttle bodies, blowing them out and melting them.. great day! IMG_20190317_145207.jpg

• WTF WTF x 1
  7. It must be sparking enough to backfire then.
    I had similar problems
    Imho, it’s worth checking out your starting circuit for poor connections.
    Replacing my old Motolectric cable kit with one of Exiges was the final link that got my 999 starting and running properly again

#7 Old rider, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  8. It sparks once during the initial cranking then doesn't do it again, exactly the same thing happened the first time the immo crapped out. With DP air filters

9. That does sound like an immobiliser problem.
    Think you need to be talking to @chrisw.
    He was an absolute star when it came to getting my 999 going again.
    He could not have been more helpful.
    Firstly though, have you checked your antenna ring hasn't slipped down and have you given the antenna connector a good wiggle?
    Also, one thing Chris suggested to me when I was still having trouble despite having fitted an "immo-off" (reflashed by Chris) 1098-type ECU was to try starting it with the dash removed. Worth a try...
    Real shame about the Pipercross filters.
    How did you get on with fitting them?
    I found the the thick flange made them a right pain to fit, as the bolts go in at an angle, which isn't too much of a problem with the thinner OEM flanges but when you put a thick flange between the air box and the runner, the holes don't line up at the angle they need to and you can't get the bolts in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The immo was removed by Avanti, so it shouldn't matter about the antenna really. Yes, I did try without the dash, just the same unfortunately.

The pipercross filters didn't fit that nice tbh, not a huge fan of them!

11. Not good if they get destroyed that easily - worried what mine might be like after all sorts of backfiring along the road to getting it sorted.
    Just how bad was your backfire???

12. The bike was cranking for about 10 seconds before it happened so it was probably 50 firing strokes worth of fuel? I knew about it!!, they melted completely

13. How did you know if they were hidden inside the runners??

14. All sorted now! Turns out the starter cable was too close to the crank position sensor and I'm guess it didn't like the emf. Runs like a champ now!

IMG_20190318_163610.jpg IMG_20190318_163608.jpg
    Annoyed about the filters though....

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Interesting...

16. How come the position or routeing of the cable changed to produce the problem?
    Are you sure you didn’t do something else like tighten/wiggle the battery terminal or earthing point?
    I had very similar symptoms but the position of the cables didn’t change to produce them.

17. I have some race type Ducati filters sat on a shelf going cheap, PM me if you are interested.

18. It's not a standard 999, the loom is very different. I tried a new cable routing to make it neater but.. well, that didn't work! Aha

IMG_20190316_195730.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information