1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Another Starting Issue

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Serkta, Sep 2, 2019.

1. My baby has been a little sluggish the past 2 days when starting. Battery is always on an optimate when not in use and I put in a new battery a few months ago with new exact cables.

This morning turns a couple of times but then won't start. Clutch stops spinning and I didn't notice any whirring of electrics (I'm sure there is a technical term for that!) pre ignition.

Any ideas/solutions gratefully received. Cheers

• Crap Crap x 1
  2. Do you have a voltmeter Serkta? Could be several things of course but despite new battery, what voltage do you have at battery static and then what does it show during starter attempt and straight after?

3. Hi Chris, I do but really don't know how to used it. Where would I place the pointy things to get the reading? Cheers

4. Try a new starter relay.. then go from there.
    I know some have benefited from a starter rebuild

5. Lovely thanks. I have ordered one. Hopefully, that will sort out the issue. Many thanks

6. Might be better to find someone to help if you're not confident. When you put it back on Optimate, what does the charge status say? When you try it next time after a charge, see if starter churns on the first attempt. This will give more clues as to what's happening, whether it might be a relay for instance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. What happens if you immediately try to start it again?

8. Hi, thanks for the response. I turned it on last night and this morning and it initially made the electrical noise when turning the key. When pushing the ignition button it tries to turn over with the open clutch initially spinning then stops and it sound like something is continuing to spin. I have done a little video but it is still too big to upload.

Cheers

9. Sprag clutch gone. o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oh bow locks. That is probably way beyond my capabilities. Thanks for the video it certainly sounds like my issue :pensive:

Cheers

11. I'd budget £300 - £400 for someone to fix that for you. :(

12. Just what I need! Guessing its all part of owning an Italian princess

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. £400 for parts alone. Bought one last winter and installed it myself.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Sometimes you can get good second hand ones on eBay for about £150.

15. The trouble is, the wear on a sprag assembly that slips is barely visible.
    Good secondhand parts may well look ok but in fact they could be worn so that means that would be 150 quid down the drain and then you’d need to buy new parts...
    That was my logic anyway.

#15 RickyX, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. You have to have a guarantee! My friend with an 1198 recently put a second hand one on his and it's fine.

17. I paid £260 although it was back in 2015, I guess they have went up since then.

18. Iirc, Steve R had some sneaky ways of doing this on the cheap.
    Unfortunately, he left the forum in a huff but there may still be some useful posts on the subject.

19. One of the fixes was a new spring. If you Google you will find all the answers. That's what I did to sort mine

20. I wasn't been rude there Google does bring the threads on here and Ducati ms up and you can try the simple things first
    One of the threads tells you which seal to buy to get the correct spring

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information