1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Locksmiths Around For Advice?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by michel couque, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Hi all.

Today replaced my front door lock with a like for like , an ERA 1930-37-1

Nearly everything is fine, should be as it’s a like for like replacement. Now not sure how to explain this , but when putting the inside bit onto the door, and getting the flat metal bar in that come from the front cylinder in so all fits snug we can only get it on if the key is literally upside down. This means you cannot take the key out of the front cylinder, the key needs to be positioned 180 degrees to get the key out, but then we cannot get the back unit bit on properly?? Driving us mad and as not working loathed to call out a locksmith. Could be a faulty lock but it’s probably something very simple. Ofcourse my wife says it’s all my fault.

TIA

2. Which, of course, it is. Always. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. I’ve had similar when fitting locks.

Obviously the tabbed bar that passes through the door is 180 degrees out.
    If the end is cut at an angle and a tad too snuggly it might stop the inside going back on.
    If the tabbed bar is sufficiently long, you could try trimming 5 mm off at a time and see if that works?

4. Sorry I know nothing about locksmithery.

Um did your wife install it?

5. Ofcourse not, she naturally took over though

• Like Like x 1
  6. Which is why I let her kindly take over( I was pushed out of the way)as I could see the conundrum and she thought she was going to fix it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. thanks for the hint. I’m still baffled as this is a like for like replacement. The tabbed bar is the same length as the old one, the lock is the same as the old one. But I do feel you’re headed in the right direction.

8. Another thought just occurred to me.
    When you reassemble, use a long thin screwdriver to stop the bar sagging and catching.

Best of luck

9. Surely just rotate the cylinder lock anti / clockwise with the key first before you insert it into the nightlatch.:thinkingface:

10. That seems to be the crux of the problem.

The back plate fits one way, but turn it 180 and suddenly it doesn’t?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Any good for you,runs for two odd minutes.

12. 441C7325-59FA-450F-87D6-E0A972FE803E.jpeg As I mentioned I am replacing like for like locks. So if I use the old external bit with the new internal bit it works fine, but the exterior key is different to the internal key then. So it has to be something to do with the new external bit

13. This is a straightforward exercise and it should be child's play,so maybe you do have a technical issue.

14. All sorted. Thought I would have one last go before sending it back . I just needed to turn the key in the barrel about 720o and hey presto it’s on and working. Ofcourse it’s all my (wife’s )fault, who barged in and took over after my first failed attempt...ring any bells!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Glad you got it sorted
    My favourite lock out story was one night when my wife came home and the cat, hearing the car arrive, jumped on the shelf by the front door and managed to push the deadlock down by rubbing his head on the door!

I was on the train but organised a locksmith and arrived home just as he arrived. Luckily he was able to use a gadget to click the button back up so we were able to open the door. Of course meanwhile the cat had come out of his cat flap and came to see what we were doing.

I’ve since changed the lock to stop this happening again...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information