1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Any One Know Anything About A Map Sensor Fault?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by jcmental, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Hi Chaps
    Long time since I've been here, Aint see my bike for almost 7 months, it's been for repairs after a minor off, mostly panel damage and Handel bar end.

Any hoo,
    I got it back last week from a firm called 4th Dimension, the guy got it out of the van and asked me to check it over, When I turned the ignition on it went through it's usual boot up then came up with the words "Engine Error" in the round window. The guy said give it a quick blast it will probably clear it's self, So I started her up and had a quick blast but the message didn't go. So he phoned his boss and they decided to take it back.
    I've just spoken to them now and they said they have looked at it and its nothing to do with the accident and nothing to do with the work they have done, It's a MAP sensor fault and we haven't touched that. I asked if their sure because they have had the wiring apart to weave out my old tracker wiring and weave in a new one (it got crushed under a panel), they said no, They said we've looked at the fault code and it has been on the since before they received the bike. Then he said we wiped all the fault codes to see if it would go away but it came back. (so theirs the proof gone that tell me when it first happened).

He then proceeded to tell me they have to be fitted by a Ducati dealer and that there is 2 one on each cylinder head and they normally need changing in pairs, they cost £168 each plus the time to fit which is about 4 hours because their right under the petrol tank.

I've look on the net but their are so many different looking units, Do you think if I got some and fitted them my self I could ride it to a Ducati dealer and they could do the programming thing and clear the fault or would the ride damage them. My nearest dealer is over 120 miles away and if I have to leave it over nigh it will be hard to get home.
    Also does any one know the part number for a MAP sensor for a 2014 1200 S GT ?That would be a good start.

Thanks in advance
    Jc

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1262.JPG

2. Part number is 55241571A.They're £75.59 inc. VAT a piece. If only one has failed, then only one needs replacing. There's no coding to be done, other than the error could be deleted from the bikes history. Diagnostics will show which sensor has failed. If you're doing it at home, plug the new one into each connector to see which is throwing the warning up to identify which one to swap. With a bit of fiddling around, one can be done without removing the tank.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks Nelly
    I can't for the life of me find where they are fitted. I've looked at the sensors on ebay to see what they look like and engines on there to see if I can see where they are, can you give me a clue?

4. Left hand side of tank. Remove the side panel and you'll see they have a rubber pipe going to each one from it's respective inlet manifold. Plug in wiring connector and a single screw holding each one in place. You can defo do one of them from there

• Like Like x 1
  5. I've changed mine at the dealer and they only charged me the work on it ~ 45€ (so no idea about its cost) since it actually ruined my vacation (three day strand). Judging by the time that went into this from the dealer it must have been the front cylinder one which is accessible without removing the tank. Do the work before you get stranded. It can really ruin your day (or week ...). No idea for the actual part number though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I fitted the one under the little panel on left below tank took bout 20 mins and light went straight out soon as started not had problem since and yes cost bout 70 quid think that one the horizontal mapmsensor the other is vertical map sensor

7. Yep did it last week, same as you took a bit longer because I had crash bars but ez enough to do.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information