1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Any Tips For Putting On Panniers?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by TCochrane, Oct 2, 2019.

1. I normally don't have any issues putting on the Ducati panniers, but sometimes I must put them on at a slightly wrong angle they seem to lock in place, not being able to slide forwards or back off.

This morning, the left side pannier got stuck, with the rear most piece inside the bike, and front outside. It took me 10 minutes of wiggling and swearing to get it free again!

They seem to either slide on really easily, or be a right b1tch.

Does anyone have any tips for putting them on? I try to line it up on all three locators first (front, rear, bottom - foot peg rubber mount)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Plastic wanky ones or metal good ones?

3. Plastic wanky ones

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. smear a little silicon grease on the rubber stops that fit on the bottom of the rear foot hanger. The pannier will then slide into place with no effort required.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. As you say, sometimes they slide in easily. When they don't do that it is due to misalignment (easily done) and the best thing to do is avoid putting more energy into the system. In other words don't try to force things, particularly in trying to get the bloody thing in. That leads to a jam, the more force the tighter they are stuck. Just reverse the process, maybe with a few lightish blows from your hand. That should get the pannier free and you can try again.
    Sometimes mounting the panniers is made harder because they are loaded and heavy. Remove the contents and mount the panniers, then add the load. This is easily done if you have pannier liners.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. The black carbon reinforced plastic that everything is made of is strong but does not slide well together.
    Apply silicone spray or Armourall to the mounting lugs. 100% improvement. They also like to be lifted slightly while sliding in and removing.

7. WTF? typical ignorant comment

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I always use silicon spray on the two lugs at the top every time, works for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. image.jpg Top tip, keep an eye on the lugs at the back that protrude thru the rear of the rear eyes. If these break off, which is not unheard of, then the pannier is able to come off at pace and carwheel along the road spectacularly in your mirrors. DAMHIK!
    You can do an effective repair to this as I had to, both sides.

10. I found that the pannier is sticking from the bottom where it is secured by the rubbers that go on the bottom of the rear foot rest. I would smear the silicon over these .

11. It's called teasing or messing about' ...a joke

#13 GunZenBomZ, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. If that doesn't work there's this ;).
    51dBnllIGmL._SL1200_.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information