1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Anybody Removed Baffles?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Danny g, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Just wondering if anybody has tried modding the standard 749/999 exhaust muffler?

2. Some people have done this, I believe @Cream_Revenge may have done it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. @Cream_Revenge to the I've done it phone...

From what I remember of Creamy's efforts there's a lot of surgery, but worth doing as you can't give stock silencers away and so you can pick them up for pennies. :)

4. Yep. Front cylinder cat is in the link pipe under the sump so easy to get cut out and welded back up.
    End can is more tricky, loads of crap in there to cut out, WEAR A GOOD MASK AND GOGGLES. There are a few threads about on how people go about it. Some chopped the whole top off along the welds and gutted the lot. They made up new exit tubes to make them same size as the proper race cans. This will make the bike a lot louder.

I cut a square off the top of the can with a .8mm disc and left the exit tubes OEM. I gutted as much as I could but it's a bitch to get in there. If I did again I'd just pass to a welder to gut. I got 3 lengths of perforated exhaust tubing, 65, 55, 45 mms (ish, would need to check) and had the welder make 2 tubes in diminishing diameters to go from the entrance to exit holes. Then wrapped them in exhaust waddling and stuffed the gaps. Bike is around 100 db so ok on most TDs, which is what I was aiming for. 0 weight saving. Sounds a lot better. Looks completely OEM so no MOT issues.

5. My cored mid pipe

IMAG0948.jpg

7. Thanks for the reply/info did you leave the ecu standard too or remap it?

8. I rode for a bit with the standard map but would pop on over run a bit and occasionaly stall coming off bypasses into roundabouts. Ended up getting a custom map and no issue since.

It cost about £150 for parts and to pay welder.

9. Ok thanks for that. Time to get to work on it then. Do you think getting @chrisw to do a remap on my ecu and mapping it to an r will do the trick or do you think I’d defo need a custom map

• Like Like x 1
  10. A Termi slip on map would probably give your best match.
    I've an idea Chris can help you with that.
    My bike came with a straight through gutted OEM can with Termi size end pipes. When I see OEM pipes they just look wrong, far too small.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Making progress just need it all welding up now. How much was the cost of the welding?

5DC037D8-3E0B-42F6-8164-8E6FC6A5C44B.jpeg

9BEA087E-6E82-4BF0-A7DE-FBEFA808360D.jpeg

C453C13D-C0F2-4253-874A-5F89680628CD.jpeg

23C0DDE2-8752-40AD-A928-2C88A3D6AAA3.jpeg

1BB1E2F9-AEE8-4AA3-B636-FC2D416BBE76.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hi again mate. Just wondering did you upgrade the air filters or just leave the standard ones in?

13. I put in Pipercross.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Thanks for that

Do Not Sell My Personal Information