1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

821 Anyone Changed A 180/60 To A 180/55 Rear Tyre?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by John Mac821, Sep 3, 2017.

1. I'm looking to move away from Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tyres to Michelin, as I don't have the confidence in the wet with the Pirelli's that I had on previous bikes with the Michelin's, but with a 180/60 rear tyre their isn't a lot of choice out there. I've been told that putting a 180/55 rear on will cause the traction control sensors to malfunction and not give the control it's designed to do. Has anyone tried this and experienced issues?

2. Fitted a pair of pirelli angels in 180/55 . Did 2300 miles on a week's trip and no issues with the TC . Mate's bike had a different mileage reading but that could be down to anything really . Maybe it puts the Speedo out a bit? Maybe Not? But no real tyre choices in 180/60 ? . Nice one Ducati.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I fitted a set of PR4's on a new 821 a while back, they were fitted by dealer who said it not the first time they fitted a different tyre size to that bike, they were fine, no issues, bike was sold after 3.5k miles

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. I did it the other way around on my 821 hyper SP - went from a 55 to a 60 and had zero problems

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just turn the traction off. It’s only got about 100 hp anyway ;):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. yeah only got 100hp lol, but it is actually pretty nifty, and light. I found them great fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I'm still on the 180/60 Pirellis at the moment but as soon they're ready to change and after reading some good reviews, I'm going to try the Michelin Power RS, also 180/60 rear. Anyone using them?

8. I fitted the 55’s and it was a real pain in the backside.
    The traction control in the higher numbers kept kicking in and throttling back the engine every time you rev’ed it
    It’s easy to say turn it off, but I’d prefer all the help i can get in hard rain in the winter.
    I wished i had never fitted them.
    Bike gone now, 1200R instead.
    Plenty of other good tyres of the correct size.
    Don’t do it is my advice

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. So just dial in back a stage or two, don't you? i.e. 7 instead of 9 (or whatever the numbering is) Surely the trade off of lots of choice vs TC working as it did is worth it?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. I fitted a 55 profile on my street fighter and the traction control worked just fine, no errors

11. @ChasT there are not plenty (well were not when I looked) of other good tyres in that size, might be a few, but not good all round tyres, hence op's post, and some replies who have changed the tyre, me being one, I also had no issues with traction control just dialled it out, regarding all the help you need, the 821 is a smooth delivery and very easy to handle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Just wanted to add a bit of balance to the thread for anyone reading it in the future. The other posts all say there is no issuse, but i had the red light kicking in on a setting of 4.
    If I hadn’t changed the bike for the 1200R i would have changed the tyres.
    The M821 is great bike, i rode mine to the bottom of Morocco and back
    The power delivery is really good, and the three modes make it a bike for all occasions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. M1200s - Only got 130 hp ish so may not be in the same game bit i found the Rossos lacking in precision and feel so i am trying Metzeler Roadtec - much much better so i can ride faster :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information