1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic Anyone Cured The Spongy Front Brake

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by martinO, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Have an icon and no matter how much bleeding you do on the front brake just seems spongy. It stops ok but when out the other day the front brake disappeared. Tried bleeding and got the lever pressure back to normal but this is still spongy compared to other bikes. Anyone else had similar?

2. Last year I had to replace the master cylinder on a friend's Classic. I didn't want to push air all through the system so I fitted the cylinder with no fluid and with a syringe, pushed fluid up from the caliper bleed nipple until it appeared in the reservoir. The lever was a hard as it had ever been, I just had to top up the reservoir.
    On all the Ducatis I've dealt with that have ABS the brakes always feel a little soft due, I think, to much longer brake lines; handlebars to under the seat, back to the steering head then down to the brake caliper(s).
    When I re-routed the front brake line on mine I had to loosen the banjo slightly and of course air got it with the resultant soft lever. Since the air was obviously at the master cylinder banjo I used the same technique. Worked perfectly.

3. Pushing from the bottoms a good shout mate cheers. I was using a vacuum pump from the bottom. I also thought about fitting braided lines to both lines as I thought they might be flexing due to the length.

4. The OEM brake lines are braided but they have a black sheaving over them.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Tracing the front brake line from the master cylinder to the ABS pump and back to the caliper is a major pain. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  6. Cheers for the update will try to push up from the bottom nipple on the caliper. Honestly didn't think they were braided must get down to specsavers

7. Ditch the brake system and go old school. 18x18 radial mc, decent braided lines, good pads :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information