1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Anyone Else Have This Happen?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by john clelland, Aug 4, 2022.

1. after much troubleshooting, have come to the conclusion that the chain is the cause of this tire wear.

the chain is adjusted to spec.

the chain and tire both have less than 2,500 miles on them.

the hub is in spec (no play side to side)

the swingarm is in spec.

this is the second set of Dunlop Roadsmart III tires/tyres on the 1260s ... the first set did the same thing, and the stock Pirelli Scorpions did not ... so i am going to suspect this is due to the Roadsmart III have a slightly wider side profile/shape?

the chain clears the tire/tyre by only 1/8th of an inch, so i suspect the chain is hitting the edge of the tire/tyre when cornering.

View attachment 274817

IMG_5370.jpeg

2. Have you checked one of the pins in the rivet link isn't sticking out a bit further than it should be?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I had that on my 1200. I think it’s more from chain whipping on the slack side of the loop and the close tolerance between chain an tire. All chains will act like a snake writhing around under accel or decel. You’re probably already doing this, but make sure suspension isn’t squatted as much as possible (per OM preload to 1, URBAN, rider only) it seemed to help mine.

#3 Robert Stewart, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. all is in spec with the chain ...

5. Front sprocket migrating?

6. nope.

7. yes ... checked ... and no, none sticking out.

8. Sorry if I'm offending, but is the sprocket mounted the correct way on. With some aftermarket rear sprockets it's possible to fit so. This with throw the track off a bit.

9. no offense taken ... both sprockets are OEM, in spec, and mounted correctly.

10. My 1260s did that with the previous chain & sprockets with Michelin Road 5s. Haven't noticed it since Changing the C&S, will have a look once it's back from it's service. Didn't cause any issues.

11. I’ve read about this happening to others with a 1260. Particularly with Michelin 5 tyres apparently. It’s the chain taking small slices out of the widest part of the tyre apparently.

12. What’s puzzling me is the pattern of the marks.

How long has the tyre been on the rim?

You’d think the chain would wear the tyre more across the entire rim if it was rubbing.

Is it possible you picked something up, that has now gone?

• Like Like x 1

13. i initially thought this as well ... then a Ducati technician pointed out that the chain and wheel/tire/tyre combo are all spinning at the same speed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I see that and the pictures from old threads seem to confirm it. What I don't get though is why the wear isn't evenly across the entire tyre?

It's looks like there are high points somewhere, either the tyre or the chain, but that doesn't make sense!

A puzzling one.

15. its fairly well known in Supermoto circles that not all 190 section tyres (or any others) are the same physical size, given that SM's are dirt bikes designed for MX/Enduro tyres, squeezing a decent sized road tyre in can be problematical.
    when it started becoming apparent that people with the same bike, same wheels and same sized tyres were having differing issues with chain rub, we started measuring the physical soze of the tyres when mounted to a rim.
    the upshot is that there can be up to 10mm difference in physical sizing between manufacturers (think 5mm under to 5mm over the median) and this was what was causing the chain rub to occur or not.
    the other thing that also became apparent is that unless it was absolutley savage in the way it rubbed it made little or no difference...untill MOT time

16. 100% the chain - used to work with a guy who had an overly wide rear tyre on a supermoto and he has exactly this on this rear tyre.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I’ve had the same issue on my 2017 1200 DVT for 10,000 miles on 2 sets of Road 5’s and now riding the 1260 PP for 15000 miles had the same issue on Road 5’s, have changed back to Pirelli Scorpions and just had a look at them and it is just catching but only just a slight mark where as the 5’s had chunks out the side, PP will be going in for Desmo service soon so will have chain and sprocket set done and will feed back if any different

18. I too had that issue with a 907ie when I changed the rear tyre from a Continental to an Avon. The Avon was a little wider and was just touching the tyre which showed similar wear marks.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information