1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Anyone Found A Warranty Provider? 959/1299

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by damodici, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Early days yet, but I might consider a year of a sportsbike again just to be able to do a bit more track work.

Now it won't be a dedicated track bike, but should I go with a Panigale 959 or 1299, I'd like to know I've got some warranty cover.

From what I can find online, Ducati still haven't launched the 'Approved used' programme they mentioned over a year ago and Warranty Direct aren't listing the 959/1299, therefore I guess what they told me earlier this year is right and they see them as too greater risk.

As usual I could grab a low mileage used 2015-2017 S1000rr fully loaded with 2 years full manufacturer warranty, or maybe look at the R1 2015 onwards, although I hear it's not particularly roomy for road comfort.

Just wish ducati would sort this out if I'm honest

2. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. thats interesting - its an extended warranty available on pre-owned motorcycles.

So i could "sell" my bike to a dealer on one of the countries above and buy it back with warranty .. hmm

Plus 12: Protection that continues over time.
    A Ducati Approved Pre-owned motorcycle does not fear time: we are ready to guarantee it for another 12 months, under the same conditions and with the same level of coverage, with Ducati Approved Plus 12. The warranty extension can be requested before the expiration date of a Ducati Approved Warranty on every Ducati Approved bike having less than 5 years from the first date of registration and with a mileage below 60,000 kilometres.

4. Some UK Ducati dealers offer a 12 month warranty on used bikes and have done for some time.

I'm not sure what the criteria used to decide what bike is or isn't covered though.

5. Ducati used warranty is on it's way as far as I know. Not sure when, but it shouldn't be far off now. It's the good old British legal system that's delaying us getting sooner...

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. To be honest I haven't seen a lot of issues with the 1299 (cannot speak for the 959) so you might not necessarily need one.

Also Ducati UK have always been pretty good with non-warranty claims IMHO, however this has been on bikes I've purchased directly from a dealer and dealer maintained in-line or above what is recommended by Ducati.

Private sales and servicing could be a different issue maybe?

7. Wouldn’t most aftermarket extended warranties have an exception for track use?

8. Do you know which Duke as so far I've not come across any.

Ever red isn't viable past a certain age of bike I believe, that's even if it's still going?

Warranty Direct only list 1199 and 899 panigale, have spoken to them in the past and they said it was unlikely they'd continue with the 959/1299 so won't hold my breath there

9. Maybe, but if it's a track day I do that's not the end of the world.

I'm more concerned about the ongoing use of the bike on the roads to be honest

10. Didn't that creepy fella who does the presentations mention this well over a year ago though mate?

I just think if they're churning through pcp bikes, most of which are hitting the market now, they need to add something to the value for resales.

It's not that I walk around thinking something will go wrong, but if warranty only costs £250 for other makes of superbike, or even £400 for a ducati, it'll be easy for one issue to cost way over that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JHP sometimes offer 12 month warranties on s/h bikes. Might be worth asking them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. They’re never going to know though in reality

13. Probably...... Can't remember. The Ducati scheme is going to be based around being "approved used" bikes from what I gather. It's still ongoing, but it's more about UK regs etc. than people not sorting it out. I think Ducati will underwrite the warranty rather than a third party. Maybe that's taking the time???? Don't know.
    Any dealer can/would/should be able to offer a warranty on a used bike. If you want one, then get the dealer to put a warranty on it. Private sales, won't be eligible for the Ducati warranty as far as I know anyhow.

14. Asked today and apparently they don't, and unfortunately neither do they have anywhere they can recommend I look for warranty cover on a 959/1299

Hmmm :thinkingface:

#15 damodici, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  15. You know I have to question this as something doesn't stack up.

As a consumer (me) when approaching any Ducati dealer to buy a used bike, surely you would expect that a brand as big and as well known as ducati would be able to get warranty coverage, either from themselves (Used Approved tbc) but also you'd expect 3rd party suppliers to offer it also

Now the first part I kinda understand because there's obviously some legal slow ups on the Ducati approved used, fine let's hope that gets sorted out and quickly

But the last part whereby a 3rd party company won't cover them doesn't sit right with me, they're warranty providers by trade and so evaluate risk daily, clearly they're not happy with either reliability of them or the associated costs when things do go wrong.

Neither sets a particularly good scene does it?

Now I appreciate not all bikes fail, and I could still just go with a 899 or 1199 as at the moment warranty direct are still offering to cover those, but honestly in this day and age when ducati have done nothing but punt bikes out on pcp for the last 3 years would you just leave the used market completely unsupported?

Just doesn't stack up to me

I've fired a few emails off to the head offices of Ducati UK, Warranty Direct and a few other companies which state they offer 'dealer packs' for warranty cover to the trade.

Hopefully someone, somewhere will be able to offer up a little clarity and hopefully with some level of cover.

#16 damodici, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  16. A mate has just bought a KTM RC8r 2014 with 9k on her, from Teasdales of Thirsk Yorkshire and got a 2 year warranty 5,000 miles..
    Not the most reliable bike in the world,as another mate owned one and the clutch basket seized, causing total engine failure...
    Teasdales are a top dealer and I have the utmost respect for them... Soon to be in Gateshead,watch this space...
    Better than the shite in Westgate rd..

17. Having had a cracked screen (£800+?) and engine rebuild (£10k+) all within 9 months on 6,000 mile 2015 1299S, I can totally understand why warranty companies don’t touch them with a barge pole!

18. Hi Ron,

Saw a grey 1299 for sale last week and for a minute thought it was yours but now you mentioned the above I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Are you looking to go with a 959 this time around, or leaving Ducati to one side for a change?

19. No. Mine is going back to Red as we speak.

Got a very good deal on a new 959 with a 4 year warranty. With the added bonus that a lot of the 1299 extra bits and pieces just swap straight over.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information