1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Had A 1299 And A 1098s/1198s?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Luke_J, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Hi all,

I had a 1299 Pani for 3 years and wanted a change so went for a ‘16 1200S multi last year (up for sale btw).

Now I’m missing having a sports bike, the multi is kind of like having a nice girlfriend that ticks all the boxes but you don’t know why you’re just not attracted to her… anyway so as 1299’s are out of my price range now and I don’t really want another one, I am looking at 1098S/1198S.

I haven’t ridden one but would like to know what owners of both have thought. I’m naturally expecting the pani to be much more powerful, refined and sophisticated, but comparatively are they similar in any way? Riding, position, character etc? I remember the Pani almost wanting to go it’s own pace all the time egging you on to let rip! All reviews of the 1098/1198 are generally quite old so compared to newer bikes it’s difficult to gauge.

Thanks in advance

2. I have a 1299S. I miss my 1198. I like the 1299 but i really miss the torque of the 1198. White ones are faster. Great bikes. Even in base trim.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks man this is kind of what I was hoping to hear. White is extra sexy.

Seat position wise is there much difference or are they as cramped as each other?

4. Seat wise? Its a ducati. I found my 11 comfier than the 12. But thats with the superpole seat. It is better with just slash cuts imo but the full system does liven things up a bit once sorted by cjs. The full 70 can burn ur left calf a bit. The 1299 just wants to boil yer crackers. I’d rather sacrifice my leg but tbh im 56 and my crackers are probably useless anyway. I need my leg to lean on. Once the base suspension has been set up by some clever fellow who knows what they’re doing, then it’s fine. I wouldnt bother with the qs. Its shit. I never used the dtc either.

5. As long as it’s not significantly worse than the 12 I can deal with that, being a 6fter I’ll never be comfy on sports bikes anyway but some are just too agonising (05 fire blade still gives me nightmares).

Yes I remember the pani being like sitting on a bonfire so nice to know either way I’ll get burnt! Interesting about the QS, I’ve seen a few posts they appear to blow up the 1098/1198’s which isn’t something I’d like to risk.

Was there anything to look out for them model specific or are they generally ok if they’ve been looked after?

6. I've not opened either a 1299 or 1198, but I feckiin love my 1098 (I also have a 959).

The grunt, torque, noise (70mm Terms full system) is just sublime. Add the looks and likely appreciation in value and it's a winner for me.

I'm a relatively new rider (5.5 yrs) so to have the full analogue experience to improve my skills is a bonus (I think so anyway - you can get spoilt and flattered by gizmos IMO).

Get one.
    Now!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I've had a 1098, 3 1198s, and an 1199. The 1199 was a great bike, but revvy compared to the others.if I was choosing between the 3 models now, it would be an 1198

8. Thanks for your thoughts, the 959’s are awesome bikes so it’s reassuring to hear your opinion!

I’ve found one I like already but I need someone to buy my multi first! :tired_face::tired_face::joy:

9. sounds like you’re quite familiar given how many you’ve had! Probably a broad question but how much better is an 1198 over a 1098 minus the TCS?

10. It goes up to 11…..

I’ll get me coat

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. More grunt

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Not sure how helpful this is, as I've never ridden a 1299. I did however have an 1198S, which I sold a couple of months ago - something that I now really regret. As other have said, it's a pretty brutal bike but looks great and sounds good with slash-cut Termi's. Not the most comfortable of bikes (but it's a Ducati!) and could be a bit temperamental (but it's a Ducati!) but I really miss it. The only thing I wasn't that keen on was the previous owner had had white number boards put on, so it sort of looked link a 1098R. I'd probably get another one if I could find a good one, or even a 1098R (although I don't think they're worth the £20k+ people are asking).

In summary, I think the main thing about these bikes is they're pretty well all "analogue" (except traction control, which can be switched off, and I guess DDA - but why would you record your speeds for the traffic cop that stops you?). No nannying electronics, it's down to the rider.

HTH (a bit).

PS - this is a quite entertaining review of the 1198S:

• Like Like x 2
  13. i miss my 1198, was bonkers.

but my pani r is also bonkers.

my old 1198
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  14. Hate this forum, I want a 1198 as well now :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. I’ve said it before & its not exactly the comparison you were looking for, but although my Supersport is a lovely bike, I’d go back to an xx98 if I could. Sometimes felt like the bike was in charge, occasionally cut out for no apparent reason, eats Regulators/Rectifiers until you change to Mosfet, upset the neighbours in the morning & actually scared the wife but what a ride, the bike not the wife…(well you get my drift).
    If you can genuinely ride sports bikes, get an xx98 at some point

• Like Like x 3
  16. Saw a 1098 on FB Marketplace yesterday for £5500. Seemed cheap?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Still got mine - big cheesy grin after every ride :p

20210528_165530.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  18. Thanks for your advice man, I love Gizmag his review sold me on an S1000RR years ago!

19. It’s definitely testament how much people seemed to have loved their 1098/1198’s who have owned them. Even compared to newer models like your super sport.

20. I used to ride mine to the Alps, then around the Alps for days and ride her home again. Its not as uncomfortable as you may think. The Superpole seat is a must. Mine was always dead reliable. No RR issues at all. CJS gave me 170rwbhp and 107ft.lbs. It could pull a train.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information