1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Know About Dirty Water Submersible Pumps Pls?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Noods, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Hi
    I’m looking for someone who knows about submersible pumps for dirty type media ..

I don’t understand ltrs per min etc but I’m told I need about 8 bar pressure?

I’m needing to pump water with glass beads mixed in for aqua cleaning.. the glass beads are about the size of grains of sugar..

The water / bead mix will be pumped from a tank and then recycled back to the tank hopefully..

Any know how would be so appreciated..

#1 Noods, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2018
  2. A dirty type medium.... Mmmmmm

3. Not a huge expert Noods (I have a cheap 240v dirty water pump with a float valve from Screwfix and a puddle pump that I've just cracked out £350 for waste water sites.)

It really depends on the volume and duration to be honest and also if the solids are aggressive (if the glass bead is angular, it will eat the fins of the pump pretty quickly.) The weight of the solids might also be an issue unless you have some kind of agitator to keep them in suspension, if not, they'll settle out and block the pump.

If I was feeling naughty, I'd be tempted to hire a petrol one and see if it does the trick. Is it running all day?

4. Hi mte and thank you for posting..
    no it will only be run on occasions for an hour or two..
    the beads are round not angular.. I wish to get or make an agitator of some kind to keep the mix on the move..
    I’ve even thought about making my own type of external centrifugal pump with aluminium or ss vanes ? Powered by an electric motor and belt and pulley..
    I’d like to use a tank with the media mix in the bottom with a rack on top to put the parts in for blasting so the media mix goes back in and around again I might prototype it by using a plastic water butt for starters..
    I’ve a karcher pressure washer and like the power it produces but I’m not sure how I can incorporate it if at all..

5. Rather than making the beads go through the pump (which cannot be good for a high pressure pump) would it not be better to introduce the beads into the water jet and filter them out with a screen? I was thinking of a gravity fed (or air pressure fed) hopper into the water jet and segregating out the beads after contact with the work piece for recycling/reuse.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Something else to work on mmmm x

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information