1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Recommend A Decent Polish

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Gp80, Oct 21, 2017.

1. What does anyone recommend / use ? Wanting to give the bike a good clean and polish before I tuck it up for winter

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. There's a proper fit looking one down my local Costa...:kissing_heart:

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  3. There are so many good ' pro ' products out there.....let me know your budget, how much time you want to spend on prep etc and i'll point you in the right direction....otherwise PM me your number and I'll gladly talk you through stuff no worries!

4. Just a decent quality wipe on/ wipe off kind of thing really, don't want to break the bank

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax....£15 for 200g tin which will last you ages.....Amazing stuff!!!....just make sure you degrease paintwork before application....Buy a bottle of IPA ( not the beer lol ) mix 50 : 50 with water and clean paintwork ( after you have properly washed it of course )....this will ensure the wax will bond to your clean paint thus you will have much better durability...

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thank you kind sir

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Auto Express regularly test polishes.
    This year they are rating humble Halfords car polish highly.
    I got some with my trade card and now have an extremely glittery 999 - well chuffed...

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Don't bother, just ride the thing all year :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Mr Sheen, original recipe

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Normally use that tbh but thought I'd treat her

11. Normally use that tbh but thought I'd treat her

12. I probably won't polish as the paint is in pretty good condition, but i'll give it a once over by eye after it's last wash to see if anything needs sorting before it goes away (hopefully not for the whole winter): i'll be giving the bike (non shiny paint bits) a once over with ACF50 too.

NB. I have OCD or CDO as i like to call it (i'd rather Acronyms are arranged in alphabetical order)

the short list
    Surface prep:
    IPA: here cleaning surface prior to application of product using a microfibre cloth

Correction
    polish: short of time, deep scratches, light scratches

Protection
    Dodo juice: here usually supply several coats to : other colours available - originally bought for a blue and black car: worked well on red (deep moody gloss finish): smells nice :)
    Liquid wax: machine applied usually for the cars tbh where i have a large area to cover
    Spray wax: here use it to remove v.light surface dirt bugs etc prior to a ride if the bike is 'dirty' when i put it away

Application
    Pads: here for applying waxes or polishes without a machine
    microfibre cloth: here

* products available cheaper elsewhere no doubt

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fair weathered pansies :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. get yourself over to detailing world...

15. Washed mine in the worn. Then, just when I finished and wet to get the chamois and air blower to dry off, it pissed down. Typical.

Cant believe how bad these bikes get underneath...the front and bottom of mine looks like its been on a trip across africa, rather than a blast around Gloucester !!

16. Dont use a 'polish' unless you need surface correction. As all polishes are abrasive. Use a good quality wax, glaze or ceramic coating such as Gtechniq Crystal Serum Lite or Nanolex Si3D

17. Ordered some of this on your recommendation and have to agree. It is really good - goes on and comes off easily, gives a peerless gloss and is well worth the fifteen quid.
    Tried it on the car too and it sheds rain like nothing else. ☺️

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Does IPA evaporate in the container? trying to figure out which size to buy. TIA!

19. got a 2L bottle a few months back for my GF's matte car, and it seems to hold well - depends on how well sealed the bottle is, but would be like the "angel's share" of whiskey and evaporate over a long period.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information