1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Running A Metzeler M7rr 190/55

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by dddd, Feb 8, 2019.

1. If so (and you own a set of verniers) could you do me a favour, I need a accurate dimension on its width, the only way you can measure this accurately is with the tyre inflated on the rim
    I'm having chain / tyre clearance issues with my preferred rear tyre (road 5) which comes in at 195 wide.
    The M7RR would be my next best option but do not want to buy until l I know its no wider than 190
    Unfortunately it would appear their is a large variation in the standard sizes from different manufactures

2. Thread moved

3. how close is your chain to the tyre then?

4. I have PR5's on & the chain is close but still clears ok. 20181230_141447.jpg

5. mine is the same distance too with Road 5 tyres on, my chain never hits the tyre

6. My clearance is about the same as that ie around 3mm but side of tyre has worn down to around 5mm
    So safe to say it really is touching the tyre. Can I ask what bike is this on

7. 2017 multistrada 1200s. I could see a problem if chain was a bit slack & certainly if the chain is worn. This gives side play so it will whip side to side. How many miles on your present chain.

8. Bike is a new 1260 multi and has had this problem from day 1, chain has never been out of adjustment. And yes agree problem will only get worse with a worn chain
    I had a DVT mutli and ran road 5 with no problem
    What i don't understand is how you can have the same limited clearance as me but you don't have the chain eating the side of the tyre like I do
    From the wear marks on the chain I can tell the tyre is hitting the chain on the bottom return run ie the slack part of the chain and wondering if my bike is missing some sort of chain guide

9. Must admit it is a long run. I think 1260 has a longer swing arm too. So will be worse. Thing is I never checked distance with original scorpions. I also noticed that the PR5 comes in 50 or 55 aspect ratio. Think mine's 55.

10. Think mine is slightly catching. 20181230_141332.jpg

11. Yes 1260 has a 56mm increase in swing arm length which will compound the problem. 190/55 is standard for multi.
    Do you have anyway of measuring the width of your road 5 (even a G clamp and a measuring tape) as I'm finding the road 5's do vary in width and all seem to be over 190

12. Going to garage now to measure

13. Yes yours is starting to mark as well, the harder you corner the more it will eat into it

14. Ok so it's a 190x55x17. Using a sash clamp to get exact it is 195mm . Was wrong about catching. If I push chain hard sideways it does not touch. Looked at top & bottom run all ok. See pic. It still has new rib marks on edge.
    20190208_210449.jpg

15. Thanks for that, all very confusing, limited clearance and you still cant push your chain over to touch side of tyre, mine is easy to push over to touch tyre
    Will have to continue my search for a decent tyre that is no wider than 190

16. 56mm is Shurely going to give more side sway. Hope you find a tyre to suit. Guess you need to talk more to 1260 guys than 1200.

17. agreed

18. I think if you are the only person suffering this problem of chain to tyre contact then your chain must be at fault. For £60 I would change the chain and re-check afterwards.

19. New bike with only 8000 K's, bit annoying to have to replace chain, but I see your point
    I might check the chain for side movement first

Do Not Sell My Personal Information