1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Taken Their Speeding Offence To Court ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dukesox, Apr 25, 2019.

1. I was recently caught apparently driving at 69mph in a 60 zone on the M1 in Bedfordshire and I now have 3 choices, a speed awareness course, £100 fine plus 3 points or take it to court.
    My initial response was to take the course but before I confirm that I`d like to hear the experiences of any on here that decided to go to court. The letter I have received clearly states that if I go to court and am found guilty the magistrate may impose a larger fine, more points , charge me prosecution costs and maybe even make me listen to Phil Collins solo work for hours on end.
    Obviously a course is pretty pain free but it feels wrong to me that I am effectively being bullied in to not going to court to potentially challenge the accuracy of the equipment etc so if any of you did go to court under similar circumstances please let me know how it went.

Cheers
    David

2. What is your evidence to counter the speeding claim?

3. speed awareness every time bud ... keeps your license clean

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. 69 in a 60 seems harsh (old 10% plus 3 mph guidance)? Speed awareness is simple but I'd feel similar to you on principle. Does the speed awareness course cost you by chance?

5. No evidence yet, I have not checked on the camera location or how frequently it is tested for accuracy etc. The letter only arrived yesterday and my first instinct was to take the course but I`m curious to know what has happened if anyone has decided on court instead.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. £91 for the course and half of my working day.

7. you never know you might learn summit on the course...........i hear numerous people on a daily basis who are actually impressed learnt something and it wasn't what they thought it was going to be.....

Of course points or not you still have to declare it to you insurance company..

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  8. Is it a permanent or variable 60 limit ? Are you that sure you were not doing 69mph ? Be buggered if I would be, especially if I don’t remember the journey. I think your on a hiding to nothing mate, do the course. Andy

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. It's usually if you have a clean license they offer the speed course costing £90/100. With the potential of those 3-points added if you offend in the circa 2-3year period afterwards. So attending the course & meeting the course delivery standards (staying in the room for 6-7hours & been polite) keeps your license clean.

And to be fair is a good refresher on the road rules & matrix shite now active on motorways & stuff like going through a red-X marked lane. Is £100 to car drivers & £300 to a professional lorry driver (car drivers also get warning letter the first time they do it).

#9 GunZenBomZ, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  10. Speed awareness course all day, every day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. I may indeed learn something on the course, it would be pretty rubbish if I didnt .
    Not sure why you had to add a face palm, I just asked if anyone had been to court and what happened if so. I`m curious about something and asked a question, dont you get curious about things and ask questions every now and then.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I appreciate all the suggestions to take the course and I almost certainly will. But.....has anyone ever take the court option instead and if so, what happened ?

13. No. No one has ever taken this to court.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. A guy from our local felt that being prosecuted for 40 something on a variable speed limit M25 at 4am in the morning was worth going to court for...
    the sign said roadworks, but there wasn't any.....
    6 points, £600 approx in fines and a telling off for wasting the courts time is what he got ... for just a few miles an hour over the temp speed limit.

PS
    He still thinks he was right to take it to court!
    PPS
    He's not allowed on our quiz team :yum

#14 AirCon, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. There you go. Cunningham's Law in action.

The quickest way to get a question answered on the internet is to post incorrect information.

You're welcome!

: o D

• Like Like x 1
  16. I was writing a response and didn't see your post until afterwards, so perhaps this as well?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. No you don't. Or were the people that held the course wrong?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. I've had some insurance companies ask and others not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Take the hit; from what I have heard from friends the speeding courses are actually pretty good and in court a lot might depend on the weather and which side of the bed the judge got out of!!

20. Checking the road signing and legality of a speed limit are always the first points to do, IMO.

Have a look at Case File 10 Appeal Ruling on the Pepipoo website; particularly item (c) of the submission.

#20 Arquebus, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information