1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Tried Road Pilot 5s Yet?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Lord Farquaad, Jan 28, 2018.

1. I’m very much a Pirelli man and intended to move my DVT from Scorpion Trail 2s to Angel GTs this year. Then the Roadtec 01 caught my eye. I commute in most weathers, so wet grip is more important than dry to me. However I’ve just started researching the new Road Pilot 5s, which claim to have even better wet performance. I know they’re very new, but has anyone tried them yet?

2. Roadtech's really are very good... be interested to see if these are 'better'.

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  3. I won’t need tyres until mid/late summer. By then the press will have rated them. And you lot will have been the lab mice for me

• Like Like x 2
  4. My Son in law,s dad owns Bike tyres Leeds. He was telling me the other day they are superb & very good in the wet too. He is due to go to Spain next week with Michelin to do track testing with them. Lucky sod. Will defo be looking at them when mine need replacing. Don,t know how much they are but guess will be at top end.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I've heard they are less "woolly" than PR4s and more grippy.

6. I rode a R1200RT on PR4s. Amazingly good when new. After 4000 miles they felt awful, like it had a flat. Even though the profile still looked ok.

My favourite tyre so far has been the Angel GT on a Tiger 1050 Sport. Superb confidence from cold in wet or dry, long lasting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PR4 were noted for wearing flat pretty quick. The new 5s are supposed to be a high mileage tyre. Sure someone can be a test dummy & try a set.

8. I'd agree - got PR4s on my R1200RS (with about 4K on them) and Angels on my 900ss.

If the PR5s liven up the handling and have at least as much wet grip as the 4s I think they will have a winner

9. Looking forward to user reviews on these too. Always thought Pilot Road2s were a superb mix of miles and grip. 3s and 4s moved things on at the expense of weird front tyre wear and the rear squaring off quick. For some reason I experienced a lot of punctures in the rear tyre with 4s. Other people have reported this as well, dont know if its the tread design, which seems deep but narrow grooves. Or maybe the thin carcass?
    Either way it put me off after the 3rd puncture and tyre write off with barely worn tyres.. 4k out of tyres is acceptable to me if they grip great in all conditions though.
    Going to fit either Conti Road Attack 3 or the new Michelins (if available) to my GS later in the year. Had the Contis on the 1290ktm and can report excellent grip, dry or in the wet.

10. Totally agree on Pilot Road 2s being a great tyre. To me were sportier than PR4 andmore feel, but did not get the same mileage, i change my PR4 at 7000miles but Pilot Road lasted about 4500 miles.

11. Perhaps our illustrious leader could have a word with the powers that be and arrange a trial or competition to win some and provide an unbiased report for the forum.
    Cough, if only someone had two identical Pikes Peaks to test them head to head with another leading brand of tyre.

12. Have booked to have Road 5 fitted 2nd March on my 16 pp, £270 all in at Protyre Bristol.

More than happy to be flown to Spain to do a back to back test ??

Currently run on PR4, lasted just over 4500 miles.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Anyone know the tread depth of a new set of Scorpion Trail 2s? My set at 4000 have front 2.5mm and rear 4mm left, with a decent profile left on them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Just measured mine
    Front 3.5 Rear 6.0mm with about 1000 miles done

15. That tally’s in with my estimate of Fr 4mm Rr 7mm new

16. How would you know that the profile is "decent" ?

17. In that it’s not obviously squared off. With similar wear across the tyre. Both front and rear.

18. I found the pr3's a great tyre but when the 4 was launched the hype was "it's far better in the wet" whilst not really a lot more info on wear and grip away from the wet. I wonder if the pr5 is along the same vien? i didn't find the pr4 to be a real world improvement on the pr3

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Well therein lies the issue. Not having a visible issue doesn't mean that it won't translate to a very obvious issue when you're riding. We can end up with some quite severe artefacts in handling which stem from tyre wear, which many of us would never put down to tyre wear - simply because they happen gradually over a period of time. We're no good at noticing anything other than large and therefore obvious changes.

In 30 years of riding I don't think I've ever seen a front tyre that I would call "squared off" like a rear tyre can, but I sure as hell can tell the difference once a new front tyre has gone on. Also consider that front a rear tyres wear in completely different and unexpected ways.

On the front you're more likely to see an inconsistency in tread depth from the front part of the tread pattern when compared to the rear of the pattern. You will notice that the tread depth will be lower at the front compared to the rear of the pattern. This is thought to be down to the tread block tilting due to the carcass of the tyre flexing when under breaking, causing uneven wear from front to back, along the centre of the tyre, with the rear edge of the tread block not sustaining as much wear. So, if you look directly down onto the tyre or look at the tyre directly from the front, you won't notice any deviation in the radius because you're only ever looking at the highest point across the surface of the tyre. Look at your front tyre from the side, and look closely at the difference between the front edge and rear edge of the sections of tread. Suddenly you'll discover that the thing you thought was consistently smooth all over is far from it.

There is a tendency for many of us to not replace the front tyre unless it's really starting to look low, and it's certainly true to say that the front doesn't wear as fast of the rear. I know plenty of riders that recon they only replace one front tyre for every three (sometimes four) rear tyres. Personally, I think that's folly but I'll freely admit to have done that myself in the past.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information