1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Anyone Use A Spring Compressor To Help Remove Shock?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by tboooe, Jun 9, 2020.

1. I am planning to remove my rear shock this weekend. I also do not want to remove my exhaust or swingarm. From what I have read, the shock only needs to be compressed a few mm's in order for it to clear the frame cross member. Has anyone used these motorcycle spring compressors? They are 159mm long so it seems there is just enough space for me to fit them in the bike.

https://www.amazon.com/ORXPLUS-Tool...7205&sprefix=motorcycle+spring,aps,214&sr=8-2

[​IMG]

2. If they’re anything like these Sealey jobbies, they’ll do the job. Word of warning, try to clamp them some how as those springs take some serious compressing!

958CE29D-24F6-4BCB-80B8-2C6EE1AF8180.png

3. @bettes thank you so much for the reply. Have you tried using the compressors with the shock installed on the bike? I just want to confirm they will fit and there is enough room for me to compress the spring a bit.

4. You should not need to compress the shock spring to remove the shock from the bike. If you leave an inch or two of up and down movement between the rear wheel and ground, it’s easy enough. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. No worries...
    I did think about it as it’d save a couple of hours time in pulling it all apart and then back together but looks tight. Might be do able but it’ll be tight.

6. As Andy says, there’s no need to use compressors for shock removal on the 848. It’s a good few years since I did the shock on my 848 but wheel and link pipe off and it came out. Not as easy as on the 748/998 bikes though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thank you Andy. I appreciate the advice. I have read so many different things about removing the rear shock on the 848/1098/1198 that I am not sure what to believe. Are you saying I can remove the shock without removing the swingarm or exhaust? I've read that the lower part of the exhaust gets in the way of the swingarm dropping down enough to allow enough space for the shock to clear.

8. I don't recall having any problems when fitting a v2 ttx on my 1098R. Andy

9. So can you please confirm that you left the exhaust in place and let the swingarm drop until it touched the lower pipe? And you were able to freely remove the shock without it hitting the frame crossmember? Is this with stock shock length or one that is has been shortened a bit to use a linear link?

10. No need to compress the spring. The key to success is getting the rear wheel sufficiently off the ground so it can swing down as the mounting bolts are removed. This will give you more room. Can even be done with the rear wheel in place.

https://www.youtube.com/57QlaWIKNgM

11. No, I cannot as my memory is poor and I have no detailed recollection of fitting the replacement shock absorber several years ago. I am sure however, I have never removed any part of the 70mm race system to do any work on the bike. I retained the OE rear shock linkage having not been able to acquire a linear linkage. Sorry I can be of no more help than that. Andy

12. Thank you but in watching the video its clear the exhaust is completely removed which allows the swingarm to drop down low enough for the shock to clear the frame crossmember. I was hoping to avoid removing the exhaust or dropping the swingarm but it seems I may not have a choice.

13. I changed my shock about a month ago, no way it was getting done without removing the exhaust. Even with the exhaust removed and on an abba stand the tyre hit the ground before there was enough clearance so I had to lift the rear by hand whilst the missus removed the shock.

14. When I changed my std shock for an Ohlins ttx, I made this stand to take the weight. I’m sure I had to remove the link pipe...

DABE975F-5AE5-439D-9E77-A400C571DED9.png

Don’t envy you now looking back. It was a real pain in the arse to work on.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information