1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple.com - Scam

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rman, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Received our joint account statement yesterday and SWMBO noticed a £0.79 debit to Apple.com/bill at end of Nov. now, neither have Apple devices nor an account, both cards are present with us at all times, have not been used online, no relatives have the details, not linked to paypal/phone only used occasionally as contactless, no further debits - hopefully? but cannot contact bank today to inform them so anyone know how the hell our details have been used at Apple??

2. Some sort of adobe install free for 3-months type lark? PDF software??

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I had this happen to me about 6 months ago. Again I have no apple account etc.
    I noticed two payments on my paper credit card statement for small amounts.
    Next thing I know, credit card people ring me up and ask if I authorised payments to same people. I said no. They said that there were “a few” payments requested on that day. I asked “how many?” To which they responded “more than I can count”.
    In the end the scamsters sucked about £2.5k out of the account. I got it all cancelled but had to get my card cancelled etc which was a slight hassle.
    I have no idea how it started.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Glad that you didn't end up footing the bill for all that. What scum bags.

5. you have used your card somewhere that's skimmed it
    The person who has those details then makes a tiny transaction on the card. They wait a day or so then make another tiny transaction if the second one goes through the details are sold on the dark web and then the purchaser hammers the card

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks Higgy, that's what we have concluded, but both being very wary of this have not handed the cards to anyone (except in N/Wide) so are at a loss as to how one of our cards info, is out there?

7. Not to our knowledge as this would surely mean entering our details online?

8. You may have used a credit card to buy something online or added card details to your account. Retailers are routinely hacked, and entire databases snaffled. It happened with EasyJet and has happened to other major firms. This means that through no fault of your own, your card details may be in the wrong hands. 79p corresponds to the monthly payment for 50Gb of storage in iCloud. You can expect this to repeat every month (as it does until the user cancels it).

If you have a Visa Card and have the Viseca One app, you can check all sorts of things and report the card stolen, or block it. The credit card people have a hotline which works outside office hours. I had to use it once when I was pickpocketed near Oxford St. Rather than try and phone a bank, get in touch directly with Visa or Mastercard or whoever they are. Good luck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. That’s the monthly subscription cost for Apple cloud storage. Drop Apple a line and ask.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Had similar a few years ago but not Apple. Maybe with Apple Pay it’s a easier now to scan the card when you pay contactless and reuse. Get a few small successes then they hit the gambling sites ime

11. I had my card skimmed once and when I retraced its use over the previous few days, I realised/remembered that when I'd fuelled up at a local petrol station, they'd taken my card to 'put it into' the card reader, but on their side of the counter it disappeared behind some folders that hid their actions from view. Even though it took no time at all to poke it into some contraption that they had hidden, before they poked it into the legit reader and handed it back to me, they had done what they needed to do. I entered my PIN not suspecting the two machines were linked. A couple of days later, while sitting at home, I had a call from the fraud dept. of my bank asking if I was using my card in Dubai to make sizeable purchases... !

12. I've never handed my card to anyone since and am immediately suspicious of anyone wanting to take hold of the card for any reason

13. 79p is the price of a song

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. If it’s an ABBA song it’s vastly overpriced

15. Also their monthly charge for entry level cloud storage

• Like Like x 1
  16. Had problems in the last 12 month with Avast Ireland payments around 40£ twice this year and found a payment last year too. Not had avast or avg for many years so it was not a subscription renewal. Could not contact or reclaim money as there was no product number, email or tracing reference. Plus being in France Barclays were impossible to deal with without running up an expensive phone bill, last time on hold for what felt like an hour and about £15 on mobile phone, just to get cut off.
    Checked my direct debits and nothing there, so not sure what was going . Shut my Barclays accounts now and moved some money across to my Lloyds account as I did not feel the account was secure.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information