1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Mac help!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Nothingbettertodo, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Just had this message appear on the screen of my MacBook Pro and now it won't do anything. I'm reluctant to follow the instruction in case it is some form of cyber attack. Anybody got any advice please

image.jpg

2. #2 Phantomfighter, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. It's infected mate, I would recommend dousing it in petrol and setting fire to it, if you have an iPhone probably best to torch that too as it will probably have cyber aids.

only joking as above switch it off and back on again, the age old IT trick :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  4. its called a kernel panic..basically the mac is throwing a hissy fit..its usually caused by some errors in one of your apps, or permissions somewhere and is usually nothing to worry about..one of the boffins on here will have the full explanation.
    Restart by pressing and holding down the restart button. Every time OSX starts, it essentially installs a fresh operating system so the bug may be cleared out.
    If youve downloaded something from the internet it may be causing an issue..regular kernel panics may require you to reset the PRAM...(Restart and hold command, option and P, R all simultaneously until you hear the start up chimes TWICE) there are many different ways to boot your mac to solve these problems, but this usually solves kernel panics in my experience.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thing is with these clever apple bastards is they tease the shit out of you and expect everyone to have 8 university degrees in foreign languages..

I wish they would put the whole message in english as I cant understand the bloody rest and get stuck after that 1st part.:banghead:

#5 Phill, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kernel panic is sometimes caused by faulty/loose RAM. When you reboot it check if it can still recognise same amount of memory as before. Have you changed/upgraded memory at any point? Even if not it may happen that it's sitting a bit loose in the slot so you may want to check this as well. It's a user serviceable/replaceable part so it's easy to do.

7. fucks sake phill..it IS in English..one sentence at the top of the list..

• Like Like x 1
  8. I think Phill was being sarcastic...

9. fugginell have I got to spell all my fucking jokes out...

I do realise its multi lingual.

×××× message to moderator ××××

possible account breach with thick as fuck imposter who has hacked funkygrimpliers account with no sense of humour - please suspend pending return to humour

#9 Phill, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  10. Any of you more knowledgeable people recommend a laptop for me. First one. Not much computer literacy. Just want to be able to store pictures,upload go pro footage, watch you tube clips and watch the odd movie on my travels.any useful tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

11. Macbook Air.
    Refurbished from Apple for about £750 and upwards. No hazzle with virus or any dodgy Windows install. Video edit works like a charm.
    If you want to upgrade in 2-3 years time, you can still sell it on ebay for around 30-60% of its value, unlikely you can get that for your windows laptop.

12. Any MacBook Pro would do you from the apple store. The new haswell processor will be revealed soon. This could mean 2 things. Cheaper standard macs or newer and faster laptop. Any base model new MacBook Pro will do you very nicely.

13. The two Mac laptops to get at the moment (and I spend my days telling people this) are:

1. The Macbook Air 13". Don't bother with the 128Gb disc - it isn't anything like big enough. Get the 256 Gb disc instead or if finances allow, the 512 Gb disc.
    Upgrade the RAM immediately to 8Gb. You can't change RAM or discs later on this model, so the decisions you make when you order it are the decisions you live with.
    You don't need 8Gb of RAM today, but I am willing to bet you will in 2 or 3 years time, and if you haven't got them, it will be too late.
    You can upgrade the microprocessor too to an i7, but it will only give you a 20% performance boost which you might not notice. This may be a nice-to-have, but it is by no means essential.

2. The Macbook Pro Retina 15". This is the top of the line Macbook. Retina screen (4 times as many pixels as standard technology screens), 4 core processor (making it about twice as fast as a Macbook Air), variable screen resolution. Comes with 8Gb RAM as a matter of course. Get 256Gb or 512Gb disc.
    It's only disadvantage vs the Air is price (surprise surprise) and it's a bit heavier.

Avoid the standard Macbook Pros as they do not have Flash hard drives (old tech, much slower, more delicate and less power, ie battery efficient). They are significantly heavier than the Air or Retina models.

Beware: you will probably need an external CD Rom/DVD drive. These are included with the old Macbooks, not with the Air and Retina models.
    Go online to the Apple store for all the prices.

Simples.

14. The new non retina MacBook pros with DVD are just fine. I use one at work and it has a SSD card installed with 16GB RAM.

15. But if you swap out the hard drive on a 15" for an SSD, the price comes so close to the Retina model that it doesn't make any economic sense. And you still end up lugging an extra 1lb of computer everywhere with you. What's the point?

Ditto the 13". You're still much heavier than an Air and currently would have an inferior processor, inferior WiFi. What is the benefit?

16. MacBook Air 13' 256GB disk.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well it was free anyway so that doesn't bother me. The weight is not huge. I have a 17 inch at home. My favourite size to be honest.

I would never waste my money on a 13 inch laptop. Get a 15 inch and a Thunderbolt Display and your golden.

18. Or perhaps a 13 inch Air for the lightness and a Thunderbolt Display. Unless anyone thinks that the Air's graphics card is too feeble to give a good result with a Thunderbolt display. I ought to test this for myself in the shop.

What I really want is a 15" Air. Strange that they won't repair this hole in their line-up.

19. As much as I like Apple some of their decisions are a bit strange... new Mac Pro for example...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information