1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Approaching A Year With A V4s

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by MVF4ORO, Jan 13, 2019.

1. First long term use of a Ducati has been a bit of a mixed bag. When its running and properly set up its great, but when its not its very frustrating! 6600 miles and 5 track days since new and its spent more time in the workshop than my Aprilia RSV Mille Factory has in 14 years! 9 recalls, new silencers due to a leak, new sump and clutch case due to warping from hot gases from silencer leak, new dash, and this week a failed rear hub. I thought Audi may improve QA from the bad old days, but it seems not.
    On the road performance, handling (once the sag is put right) and comfort, other than heat, are brilliant. 400 miles in a day around Yorkshire, Northumberland and Cumbria and Lancashire quite doable with no aches and pains. On track its a bit of handful and demands much more commitment than my RSV4rf did at the same lap times. Hoping 2019 will be better with all the faults ironed out. Bought the bike with extended warranty as I loved the looks and concept and intended to keep long term. Suspect it will cost Ducati more than me!

• Like Like x 12
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Good to see an honest review

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. That is a terrible first year. If that was a car costing the same you would have rejected it by now. Ducati are relying on the passion and desire for their bikes.
    Bike was released far too soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. How did you approach getting stuff replaced? Through sheer will power or diplomatic polite skills.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. FFS everytime I am considering to buy a v4s someone comes up with a positive/negative? review. :):)
    You are very patient man :upyeah: I can accept 1-2 first batch issues but 9 recalls will make me completely lose my trust in any manufacturer, let alone a premium one.
    Considering an RSV4 is £7000 cheaper..and we have the new s1000rr M-package with all the goodies on at £20k..makes me think even harder.

6. Thinking about it, it's coming up a year since I bought mine... blimey!

Sounds like you've had a lot of bad luck. Warped sump case doesn't surprise me, they're paper thin. The torque setting is about 14nm for the sump plug such is the fragility of it.

Other than the recalls I've had no bother at all. Mind you, I've only clocked just over 1000 miles (on track). It's an amazing bike, love it. It hasn't missed a beat in any area I'm still getting the hang of it. The power and noise is intoxicating. Looks the total bollox too now that I've added a FullSix body kit including tank and subframe. Just need to remove the main light and a paint shop... Jobs a good un :):upyeah:

2019-01-13 14-54-04_IMG_2688 - Windows Photo Viewer.png

• Like Like x 11
  7. S1KRR will have its own teething troubles. BMW are great bikes but they're not trouble-free. RSV4 have a reputation for valve/head issues... even Fireblades use oil and have some electrical eccentricities. Of the top flight superbikes I think there's only the R1 I haven't heard negative things about, and I'm sure if I listened out specifically then they'd have them also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Get one. They're fucking amazing. Fastest/best bike out there bar none. The horror stories tend to get more amplified. There are heaps out there, most without problems.

All the 'problems' I've read about is just nicky nack shit. I think the worst being a crappy QS (mines been great btw). It's not like they're throwing rods like the Aprilia did at it's test launch. Or the marzipan gearbox's in the beemers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Absolutely. The R1 for example looks like a fekkin Catfish. And breaks down everywhere. Probably...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Yes...and all above 6-8k cheaper.
    My 2015 had a factory gearbox recall, that was it...no issues since then.
    R1 typical problems (only registered on race bikes)
    Snapped cranks - due to irregular firing order there is more vibration on the crank, some race bike had cranks snapping(most had the rev ceilling moved up by 1000rpm)
    Dropped valves- 16 model onwards had re-designed valve train.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Yeah, you've just reminded me. Snapped cranks could get a bit tedious I suppose.... So there you go! Get a V4S!

12. Oh I like how it looks... I like odd-looking bikes. The sad eyes of an R1 or MT-10 make me want to cuddle it... but then I like the Patrick Moore face of my HP4 too! :joy::heart:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Doesn't look like a TT winner...

patrick-moore.jpg

...fast though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Welcome Dave

15. R1’s do have issues too, engine/gearbox related IIRC from forums

All SBK do. Nature of the beast: built for high performance, massive amounts of tech, slightest thing wrong and its woe assured

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. @Mary Hinge
    That is why I wrote I can accept 1-2 first batch issues, but after 9 recalls I would certainly sell the thing.
    Make no mistake I am not one of those guys that judge a product 100% based on forum opinons, given the big production numbers there will always be couple of bikes with issues out of the 1000's sold. Anyway for £24k I would expect a premium product tested and developed properly...I am a cash buyer not PCP therefore it is important the amount of possible issues.
    MVF4ORO done 6500 miles, yours done only 1000miles, basically barely run in...
    Will wait for the 19 model and see what will be updated.

#16 alexko, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  17. I’ve always been of the thought that the gen1 of any Ducati model tends to be troublesome.

Always worth waiting for gen2 and 3 models.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Snapping cranks is probably the most serious.

And pretty common in racing. I know of loads

19. Catfish are revered in Japanese folklore which will probably be why (as an homage). Have you noticed how they are on exit signs over there? Something about earthquakes!

20. Blimey think I will stick with my 1199s oh welcome to the forum

Do Not Sell My Personal Information