1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia Tuono Factory

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by baylissboy, Mar 22, 2018.

1. I'm looking out for a 1098 Streetfighter S, but if I can't find the right one I might have to look at something else.

I was thinking an Aprilia Tuono Factory might fit the bill, but I remember that Aprilia used to have parts supply issues & other problems.

Has anyone got any experiences with a Tuono Factory who could advise me?

Cheers.

2. Exactly that. Getting parts was a nightmare for me when I had mine. I have been told by my local dealer that it's fine now and they can get most parts within 2 - 3 days. I waited 6 weeks sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Last time i needed stuff for my RSV4 it took 9 months in total (4 months to get half the parts) but, that was a few years ago....

Edit - and just to add to that (plus point for aprilia here) it was a few years ago that i last had an issue and (that particular problem wasnt an issue as such) just a small oil leak. In 6 years of ownership ive only ever had one problem thats stopped the bike starting (TPS sensor failed) and that was in the garage. And even then i had one the next day off of ebay for 20 quid. So, if youre thinking of a V4 then i cant recommend them highly enough. Mines old (Pre aprc) but brilliant - if i had the money to get another sportsbike id get a newer one...

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mine was the older V Twin. I still say it had the best build quality of any bike I've ever owned. (Misting clocks excepted). :upyeah:

IMG_0036.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Yep - my rsv4 has the most miles and is the oldest and has required literally no fixings upkeep to keep it the way it is now (ive just serviced and cleaned it)

Hypermotard on the other hand (one year newer) and less miles has had just about every bolt replaced (cos they fucking rusted!) and quite a bit of recoating done (hopefully going to pick up my engine cases tonight) - front barrel next....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. My Tuono 1100 V4 was a stunning machine, it’s literally a superbike with bars so don’t expect much comfort.

Unfortunately I had random cutting out issues that Aprilia could never diagnose so I got rid while it was still under warranty. Personally it’s not a bike I would rush to own again if it wasn’t covered by the manufacturers warranty.

I took the 2017 Factory on track last year before buying my next bike. As expected it was still a stunning machine but I ended up going the KTM route. In my opinion, the Aprilia is the better track bike and the SuperDuke the better road machine - horses for courses and all that.

Now I’m on a SuperDuke, meaning I’m biased, and it’s an absolutely stonking bike. Stick a full system on and you’re looking at near 190bhp at the crank and 141NM - it’s absolutely mental. I also like the fact it’s a fairly low state of tune so the engine will keep going and going, I’ve heard reports of (very minor) power gains at 10,000 - 15,000 miles. I like this as I’m planning on keeping mine for some time and will be doing 6k + per year.

#6 Jimmy899, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Paiggio have a new European distribution warehouse these days and they reckon 75% of parts are available off the shelf and generally it is. Where it falls down tends to be for less common parts. Things like decals, wheels or carbon panels often have some long lead times. It's important to have a good dealer or a good independent. The official dealer network varies from downright shockingly bad to a few (very few) good ones.

Ignore service schedule for valves as regression is quite high on them and they can drop valves if left too long, nearly always breaking 14mm up the shaft from the head with major damage occurring. Nearly all are well out of spec way before the service schedule is anywhere near asking for checks. Valve guide wear can be a problem on some once the mileage creeps up a bit and a few have had chocolate gearbox's (poor hardening of the gears). Nut can come undone on the crank causing a cam chain issue and good night top end. Good independents and dealers always check that (not in service schedule) Pre 2016 bikes would rattle like a duke open clutch for 10 secs on a hot start but doesn't seem to harm them generally. Fixed on newer models by a non return valve preventing the followers from draining. Post 2014 v4's had a significant engine upgrade and a lot of the lubrication system was improved and much stronger cam chains fitted so If it were me I would look for the latest bike you can afford.

Have a look on Apriliaforum as most of these issues are well documented or ring and speak to Griff at Aprilia performance if you want to speak to someone first hand that fixes them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Yep - mines a bit noisy on startup for about 3 or 4 seconds then goes quiet (guessing where the oil circulates around the top). Love mine. No plans to sell it as i said...brilliant bike and mine is allegedly one of the worst...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for the info guys.

I'll give my hunt for a SFS a few months, if nothing comes up......the Aprilia looks like a possible option.

10. Wasn't you half planning letting yours go @Exige ??

I also had one of the older tuono's from new, Think these were some of the last cans micron ever made, Ide be leaning towards the superduke 1290 if you cant get hold of the sfs, Saying that the Tuono is something else
    2009-05-04 11.40.59.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. He doesn't have enough wotsits for such a low mileage example - he want's the best deal selling and the best deal buying (a bit like me o_O) but no mine has not been considered for sale until he asked - my Aprilia RSV-R Factory could be for sale though...

• Like Like x 2
  12. @Exige I know someone who may have your aprillia send us a pic mate:upyeah:

13. IMG_0912.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  14. You know I have enough Wotsits......& we both want the best deal whether that be buying & selling.....but I really wanted a bike with some mods......so although you bike is lovely......I feel that it's a tad too expensive taking into consideration that you want only a small amount less for it than a 1098R Bayliss that was recently purchased!!! Lol

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. That must have been cheap!!! :eek: You have seen the price of SFS's in Germany, mine would be £5K more over there :thinkingface: only going North in Value and less than half the price of a 996SPS that sold recently :yum

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. It was a 916SPS actually........& if I remember correctly....you were miles out on the value of that too!!! Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. @Exige ......RSV-R looks lovely!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. yeah, always value too low (916SPS's are 996cc) :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. £20K o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Put some flat bars on it and you don't need anything else :yum

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information