1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arai Helmet Repair?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Ambrose, May 22, 2021.

1. 6F9E5AF1-B3D3-4DAE-963C-9D5C1EE2297A.jpeg AAEAF94E-FB3F-457A-9D84-7EF2F8A4A639.jpeg Got back yesterday and found the bottom trim part of the helmet has come off does anyone know if these can be repaired or is it time for a new lid? It is probably 20 years old now so had my monies worth :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. It's 20 years old. You've had your money's worth. Scrap it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  3. I’d probably get a new one at 20 years :laughing:

however if it was younger I’d just glue that back on o_O:blush:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. My Doohan rep RX7 did exactly the same one rainy day. Sadly it was time for the scrap heap. Was my favourite helmet as well.

5. It's interesting to hear people's thoughts on this. I'm sure it's a case of going by the Industry Standards recommendations and if in any doubt then discard, as it's highly-critical safety item, but I can think of many motorcycle fairings that are 30 + years old and it's clear they've lost little of their integrity when inspected after damage. (well aware that this is possibly a vague not like-for-like comparison).

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Apparently its not the outer shell so much as the inner shell that degrades. Arai recommend replace at 5yrs and deffo after 7yrs they wouldn't support anyone using them. But that's from Arai, not me. 20yrs tho is a tad too long even for me. Trouble with a lid, is that you never know until you have to rely on it; and with it being the head I'd prob not take a chance personally. Gloves? meh...bonce? Hmm, ok then.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. You make good points.

Still in a world of litigation, liability and ambulance chasers, I'd expect all helmet manufacturers to state a short usage life even if they know its not really necessary.

As regards the more sales orientated helmet companies, I also expect they would like to see the useful life reduced to 2 years...

I wouldn't wear one most of the time if it weren't mandatory so personally 20 years - no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cheers all, Kinda knew the answer really 20 years usage is probably pushing it ;) I still really like the design but guess it’s time to replace and pop this on a shelf

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. New helmets are lighter, quieter, better fitting and most probably safer.

Shelve it and treat your bonce to a present.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Having really liked the Arai I have any recommendations on others? Are the newer Arai’s much different only reason I ask is I’m not sure on being able to try anything on at the moment with COVID etc open to other manufacturers will start looking to see what’s out there.

Don’t have any preferences so welcome anyone’s advice on a replacement.

11. Don't be too hasty there's life in that thing for a few more years yet.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. My local motorcycle accessories shop lets you try their helmets on, ring round until you find a shop that will, unless you aren’t comfortable with doing so.

13. I’m sure helmets probably last longer nowadays just through the fact you can take out and wash the linings nowadays, my old Scott Russell Shoei was pristine on the outside but inside was a biohazard! That and the fact in the good old days summer used to last more than 2 weeks in May (excluding this year?) and so the days use x temp x sweaty head factor was a lot greater 20yrs ago :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  14. I like what you did there: – you have to be comfortable while trying to get your head comfortable. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Most places worth their salt also have a gauge that tells you if you have an Arai or Shoei shaped head.

16. Have you never seen the damage a bee or stone chip can do at 50mph?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I can only say that riding in the US for five years I never had any issues. Nor at least five years in Mexico before the helmet law was introduced on the Caribbean coast. Same for Thailand, Bali, India on month or more trips.

18. I've never seen that gauge. The only two makes of helmet that I have worn in the last 20-odd years are Arai and Shoei. Both were perfectly comfortable and I would have no hesitation in buying them again - both did European tours.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information