1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Areas Of Exeter

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Roadtrip, May 15, 2019.

1. Anyone got any advice on the areas as we are hoping to go there in a coupe of weeks to start a bit of a house search, been looking Somerset/Devon boarders for a few years on and off with an eye on work for my younger son 23 who is doing accounts so thinking a commute to Bristol but want to check out Exeter as also one of the larger areas /city for his work,

As all towns/cities they have there good and bad places along with house prices, so any pointers will be appreciated.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. gives us a clue as to whats most important......
    detached house out of town or 3-4 level city house, flat for son in city and you live easy drive into town centre?
    you love concrete or fields?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Would be a detached house for the whole family, not city centre so out of town as there seems to be a few train stations in the surrounding areas at the top end of Exeter for my son to commute in.

4. Exeter is great for quality of life and is an easy train commute for Bristol.
    House prices vary according to location. Topsham is super expensive but places like Cullompton and Tiverton are cheap.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sounds like your son needs to move on, drop you guys and get a shared house, you know, for the experience.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. What the aim is if we moved Somerset then Bristol would be place of work and if Devon then Exeter would be place of work, well thats the basic plan, my son has Aspergers and a few other health issues but is a Math wiz and like's accounts work, so a small drive or train to work would be good also a bus ride.

Cullompton i would say is to far out, how I'm basing the search is on Rightmove map you get the basic area outlined so thats the starting point,
    I see Topsham so its a start point as prices :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Topsham is far and away the most desirable place to live and carries a huge premium as a result. It is quaint and few houses have parking and garages, so those that do carry an extra huge premium.

8. You could try Lympstone, especially if you like going commando ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. So, Bristol by car is awful, i quit bristol after 6 years of commuting from burnham on sea, Outskirts of Bristol would probably be thornbury, yate or A38 south bristol would see some nice areas,
    if you want to put your son in a house i have a 1 bed for sale!! 150k in Tiverton, easy commute to Taunton and Exeter also lots of villages where you could get away from city life and easily access if required, such as north of Exeter - Kentisbeare, Plymtree, Silverton, Bradnich, Thorverton and more town orientated life would be honiton, tiverton, Cullompton, Ottery st Mary,
    south of Exeter puts you in easy reach of the sea which is alway great for work life balance.... good luck hunting

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Have a day off work tomorrow, so taking a few nights stay in Exeter, hope the rain stops :splat:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Look at Topsham, Exton, Lympstone and Exmouth.
    All on the same branch line to Exeter.
    Similarly, Exminster, Starcross, Dawlish and Teignmouth on the other side of the Estuary.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. No station At Exminster but easy cycle ride into Exeter by cycle route or take the bus.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Just having a few pints at the quays and it very sunny

• Like Like x 2
  14. Often cycle up there for a drink or meal in the evening sunshine from our place in Countess Wear. :)

15. Good weekend took 4 hours door to door, drove round a few area's to see several house's and get a fill of what's on offer, found a couple of good restaurants Bill's and Pasha, was surprised how many pubs and restaurants there are.

First time to Dawlish for a Pasty/cake at Gays creamery :upyeah: and watch the trains, the roads looked very good for a ride out and came across a bikers cafe called Cafe 53 next to a few big bike dealerships.
    All in good and hope to be back in around 6 weeks, i did mention to Mrs Roadtrip about taking the van and put a bike in the but seee didn't
    seem to pleased with the idea :)

16. Got a few more days in Exeter later this week, fingers crossed no rain.

• Like Like x 1
  18. We live in Countess Wear, which is a good compromise.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information