1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asbk Official Test

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Wull, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Day 1 results......times at the bottom.

Today marked the explosive commencement of the 2019 Australian Superbike Championship (ASBK) season, as riders and teams got down to business at the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit for the Official ASBK Test. Temperatures in the mid 30’s meant that riders were treated to superb track conditions offering plenty of grip and the opportunity to stretch their legs after a long off-season.

Wayne Maxwell (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, Suzuki GSX-R EL R),Tom Toparis (Landbridge Yamaha, Yamaha YZF-R6) and Locky Taylor (YRD, Yamaha R3 321) closed off today with the fastest overall lap times for their respective classes. Maxwell put in a brave performance to take out fastest in the Kawasaki Superbike class, despite an operation on his collarbone only nine days ago.

The test also saw the first-ever appearance of the bLU cRU Oceania Junior Cup, a brand new Junior Road Race Academy featuring 25 of Australia’s brightest junior riders.

Kawasaki Superbike

A Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit regular, Saturday treated Wayne Maxwell very well. Clocking in the fastest time for the Kawasaki Superbike class of 1:32.913, Maxwell was feeling right at home on the new Suzuki frame as he navigated ‘The Island’s’ undulating slopes and tight corners.

“I’m really happy to be back with Team Suzuki ECSTAR on the GSX-R. You have these doubts that creep in at the start because everything is so foreign but I came into today with a clear goal of not only winning but also making a contribution to build a strong team,” explained Maxwell.

“The bike’s getting better with every lap and with all things considered, I’m really happy. Tomorrow we’ll just work on longevity which is a little bit difficult at the moment with my collarbone injury.”

Coming in hot after Maxwell was Troy Bayliss (Ducati Panigale FE) with a 1:33.011, who finished twice at the top of the timesheets across Day One of the Official ASBK Test. Behind Bayliss by .170 was Bryan Staring (Kawasaki Bcperformance, Kawasaki ZX10RR) with the third fastest time for Day One of 1:33.181. Staring took his time throughout the course of the day to find his feet, but neither the first day nerves nor the Phillip Island circuit could dissuade Staring from finishing the day with the third fastest time overall. Josh Waters (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, Suzuki GSX-R EL R) finished Day One with a fastest time of 1:33:334. It took the 2017 ASBK Champion no time to ease on into the first day of the 2019 season, appearing toward the top of the timesheets throughout the day.

Rounding out the top five fastest lap times was Aiden Wagner (Yamaha YZF-R1), with a best time of 1:33:452. Wagner has rung out clear to the Kawasaki Superbike class that he means business in the 2019 season, featuring regularly throughout the day in the top five places.

Reigning ASBK Champion, Troy Herfoss (Penrite Honda Racing, Honda CBR RR SP) finished with the sixth fastest time of 1:33:500.

Day One Fastest Overall Top 10 Results:
    1 Wayne MAXWELL (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, Suzuki GSX-R EL R) 1:32.913
    2 Troy BAYLISS (Ducati Panigale FE) 1:33.011
    3 Bryan STARING (Kawasaki Bcperformance, Kawasaki ZX10RR) 1:33.181
    4 Josh WATERS (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, Suzuki GSX-R EL R) 1:33.334
    5 Aiden WAGNER (Yamaha YZF-R1) 1:33.452
    6 Troy HERFOSS (Penrite Honda Racing, Honda CBR RR SP) 1:33.500
    7 Daniel FALZON (Yamaha Racing Team, Yamaha YZF-R1) 1:33.541
    8 Cru HALLIDAY (Yamaha Racing Team, Yamaha YZF-R1) 1:33.565
    9 Glenn ALLERTON (NextGen Motorsports, BMW S RR) 1:33.614
    10 Mark CHIODO (Penrite Honda Racing, Honda CBR RR SP) 1:33.934

2. Day 2........results at the bottom

Another day of non-stop action here at Phillip Island for the second day of the Official Australian Superbike Championship (ASBK) Test, as the competitors tested their setups and their commitment around ‘The Island’s’ four and a half kilometre layout in 30-plus degree heat. Australia’s fastest men on two wheels once again came up with the goods, providing an outstanding day and whetting the appetite for Round 1 of the Championship.

This morning as the engines kicked over and the visors went down, the riders steeled themselves for a crucial day of testing, their last chance to get the bikes fine tuned before they return to ‘The Island’ on 21-24 February.

Track temperatures reached over 60 degrees ensuring that there would be plenty of grip available to the riders. This would mean that yesterday’s times didn’t really stand a chance as the riders put the hammer down and fought for bragging rights.

Kawasaki Superbike
    Repaired collarbone and all, Wayne Maxwell (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, Suzuki GSX-R EL R) could simply not be beat upon the close of Day Two of the Official ASBK Test. Maxwell finished the day with a top lap time of 1:32.312, picking up the pace from yesterday’s time by .601! Clocking in with the second fastest time of 1:32.451 and leading the pack continuously throughout the day’s practice sessions was Aiden Wagner (Yamaha YZF-R1), who is making a triumphant return to the ASBK paddock in the lead up to a highly anticipated Round 1.

Reflecting on the weekend, Maxwell stated; “I’m really enjoying the ride on the Suzuki GSX-R. It’s solid on the track which I found quite daunting to begin with, but once I got my head around the bike and adapted my style everything went smoothly.

“I’m not letting the expectation and hype get to my head. Instead I’m just trying to take a slow approach to the start of the season and enjoy the new team and bike. This weekend has really helped the team find the right direction moving, so we’re feeling really positive moving into Round 1!”

Landing in third behind Wagner today was legend Troy Bayliss (Ducati Panigale FE), with a fastest time of 1:32.631. Hot on Bayliss’ heels to secure the fourth fastest lap time for Day Two was Josh Waters (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, Suzuki GSX-R EL R), clocking in with a 1:32.676.

Rounding out the top five was Daniel Falzon (Yamaha Racing Team, Yamaha YZF-R1), who appeared frequently at the front of the leading pack throughout today’s practice sessions. Falzon finished today with a best time of 1:32.784.

Reigning Kawasaki Superbike Champion, Troy Herfoss (Penrite Honda Racing, Honda CBR RR SP) once again couldn’t crack the top five, settling instead for sixth place with a time of 1:32.984.

Overall Fastest Top 10 Results:
    1 Wayne MAXWELL (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, Suzuki GSX-R EL R) 1:32.312
    2 Aiden WAGNER (Yamaha YZF-R1) 1:32.451
    3 Troy BAYLISS (Ducati Panigale FE) 1:32.631
    4 Josh WATERS (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, Suzuki GSX-R EL R) 1:32.676
    5 Daniel FALZON (Yamaha Racing Team, Yamaha YZF-R1) 1:32.784
    6 Troy HERFOSS (Penrite Honda Racing, Honda CBR RR SP) 1:32.984
    7 Bryan STARING (Kawasaki Bcperformance, Kawasaki ZX10RR) 1:33.181
    8 Cru HALLIDAY (Yamaha Racing Team, Yamaha YZF-R1) 1:33.211
    9 Glenn ALLERTON (NextGen Motorsports, BMW S RR) 1:33.614
    10 Mike JONES (Kawasaki ZX10RR) 1:33.786

Do Not Sell My Personal Information