1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auschwitz

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pete1950, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Today is a day for remembering Auschwitz, liberated 75 years ago.

Here are some photos I took on a visit in 2015:

Ausch - barbd wire 18-07-15.jpg
    Ausch - execution wall - 18-07-15.jpg
    Ausch - crematorium - 18-07-15.jpg
    Ausch - gallows - 18-07-15.jpg
    Ausch - striped pyjamas - 18-07-15.jpg
    Ausch birkenau - gas chambers - 18-07-15 .jpg
    Ausch birkenau - gate - 18-07-15.jpg
    Ausch birkenau - memorial plaque - 18-07-15.jpg
    Ausch birkenau - rail wagon - 18-07-15.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Puts a perspective on things :(

• Agree Agree x 11
  3. I've been to a few military national cemetaries and there is a clarity of thought I've yet to experience anywhere else.

As to the camp's, I'm worried now that so many see it as a tourist attraction without knowing the content as so many younger ones see history as irrelevent. I know if I went, I would probably weep

• Agree Agree x 10
  4. Understand that fully. We visited Ypres last summer. The museum and local cemetaries certainly move you to tears. The Menin gate bugle call in the evening is one of the most moving things I think I've ever experienced. Clarity for sure... respect without any doubt.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I've not been to Auschwitz,but have travelled to the first Nazi camp Dachau/Hill 60 in Ypres/Oradour Sur Glane/Anne Franks house in Amstersdam/the Holocaust memorial in Berlin for the jewish people,plus many other places over the years,all very lump in the throat moments with silence around you...............everybody should visit these places and show some respect for the above sacrifices made.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I would like to visit to pay my respects

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Still hard to comprehend. With society becoming softer and more offended with every generation, I really hope time doesn’t allow remembering this to be put to one side or forgotten about. :pensive:

• Agree Agree x 2

8. I feel like it’s extremes of both these days

western culture is extensively fucked in my opinion

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. This must never be allowed to happen again!

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. When I am fit enough to travel, the first European ride is going to be Poland and Auschwitz. My sister-in-law
    has been researching family history. My grandfather was a Polish immigrant(which we always knew) and one of his sisters was killed there, apparently. I was going to go anyway but I know now that I have a family connection ...: unamused:

• Like Like x 2
  11. It is a truely humbling place, I've visited a few times with different family members as it's part of our history, my Grandmother and Aunt survived Majdanek and then Auschwitz, not Jewish just Poles from Lublin. My Dad was taken to Siberia as a boy and ended up in Scotland training with the Polish parachute Brigade.
    For a civilised world we are really not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. As a paddy I've great respect for all the war sites even though we weren't that involved. I always hold back on visiting the sites as I know the shocking cruelty and loss of life would stay with me long past the visit ! But as el toro said it must never happen again !

#12 theskitz, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. @doggy don't know what your disagreeing with didnt think there was a statement of fact made ?

14. Rwanda and Bosnia perhaps? Re post 12.

15. Suppose the comment cannot happen again refers to the industrialization of murder but a good point about rwanda and Bosnia theres a lot of evil bastards out there !

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ypres? I’ve read a few books on it. Try 1915, The Death of Innocence by Lyn Macdonald. Fascinating and mind blowing. I’ll bring it next time I’m down if you like?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Myself and my wife went last year and you can rest assured these are not a tourist attraction and i hope never will be, it left a lasting impact for both of us and a greater understanding of the plight of the Jews and others and as upsetting as the visit was we were glad we went.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. It’s happening today. In parts of Africa. In China. In the Middle East. Mankind can’t stop killing mankind.

like Nelly my son and I did Ypres a couple of years ago. We went to Fort Breendonk. Probably the worst experience of my life, watching the videos and generally getting a sense of what the Germans did to those poor people.

it’s impossible to comprehend what it was like

19. They shouldn't be tourist attractions but if you Google selfies at Auschwitz you will see people are constantly being told not to do so !!!

20. Just did, morons, i would like to think that after the guide enlightened them they would think better of there actions.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information