1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 B S T Carbon Swingarm - Fitting

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Robarano, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Regular Froum visitors may have seen my post about buying a BST carbon swingarm for the 1098R over Christmas.

1098R Carbon Edition

Well, with another day free, and not being able to get out and ride, I fitted it yesterday. Here's how it went for those needing to remove their swing arm or maybe do some other maintenance. :upyeah:

Bike on the ramp ready for surgery. :)

IMG_9026.JPG

Before I did anything, I wanted to make sure I could remove the swingarm bolt as if I couldn't, it was a show stopper. o_O I had a 916 years ago that had a siezed one and it was a pig to get out.The 1098R had a full engine and gearbox rebuild at John Hackett about 4 years ago so I was hopeful the bolt would be well greased and easy to remove. OK, loosen the RHS nut a couple of turns, put an old extension bar on the socket and give it a tap......It moves straight away with very little effort. Result and I can continue. :upyeah:

IMG_9030.JPG

Luckily, I have non folding foot pegs fitted (Gilles VCR) so I could use axle stands under them to take the weight of the bike without some awkward jacking up elsewhere.

IMG_9029.JPG

I'm still waiting for my chain splitter to arrive and as I needed a longer chain to accomodate the longer swing arm, I knew I wasn't going to be using this chain on this bike again. So I ground the joining link off to remove it.

IMG_9031.JPG

Chain off. Sprocket off. Brake caliper and disc / shaft removed.

IMG_9034.JPG

IMG_9038.JPG

IMG_9041.JPG

One thing I had seen elsewhere when removing the rear hub was the presence of water in the swing arm. Mine was no different, although not too bad. If I had been refitting the original swingarm, I may have looked into drilling a small hole on the underside of the arm, beneath the hub. :thinkingface:

IMG_9047.JPG

I made the decision to remove the rear shock and rocker to allow me to clean everything I can't usually get at, including the rear of the engine. I had no corrosion when removing parts, but the nooks and crannies were a bit dirty in places.

IMG_9049.JPG

Swing arm pivot bolt out with a bit of a tap. It was a little dry, so fully cleaned and greased before refitting.

IMG_9051.JPG

1st problem. :confused: With the bike having the full race exhaust system, there was no way the swing arm was coming out with the exhaust in place, no matter how much I twisted and turned it. I had seen videos of 848's having the swing arm removed with the zorts in place, but no way on this bike. Then I would have to do the same fitting the BST arm with every chance of scratching it............Exhaust off. :rolleyes:

IMG_9052.JPG

Swing arm out. (I know there is a nice selection of hammers in this picture. But sometimes stuff does need a small tap). :innocent:

IMG_9056.JPG

An inspection of the bike and parts has shown no corrosion (Never used in the wet) Nothing is leaking, but it does need a clean. So I cleaned the engine, the shock and rocker assembly, then every other part as I refitted it.

IMG_9055.JPG

IMG_9059.JPG

IMG_9057.JPG

IMG_9058.JPG

Right. Bike ready for the BST arm. What does it need from the old arm? Looking at it. :eyes:
    • 3 x spacers on the pivot.
    • Underside chain guard
    • 2 x hub pinch bolts
    • Brake caliper assembly location pin.
    All parts removed from the old arm, cleaned and fitted to the new arm.

IMG_9060.JPG

IMG_9062.JPG

IMG_9063.JPG

Lift the swingarm into place. :cold_sweat: Fit pivot bolt & rocker assembly.

IMG_9065.JPG

Zorsts back on.

IMG_9066.JPG

Hub, Shaft, Brake caliper, Sprocket all refitted.

IMG_9068.JPG

IMG_9071.JPG

Measured up for a new chain and ordered today. :upyeah:Original was 98 links, looks like I need 100 with the additional length.

IMG_9073.JPG

Nearly job jobbed. :) Rear hub is still loose and I will refit correctly with high temperature grease, but I don't have any as of yet. Another item ordered.

IMG_9077.JPG

IMG_9075.JPG

#1 Robarano, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 31
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Beautifullllllll !!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Lovely. Good job. :upyeah::upyeah:

4. You've almost shamed me into going into my garage, Rob!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Stunning bit of kit

6. Looks alright I s’pose...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Awesome project and stunning swingarm. I would be scared to death of scratching it. Have you considered using a ceramic coat on it to give it a bit of protection? I've done it my carbon bits and paint with good results.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I went through all this just last week. Seems like a bit of a job but once you get stuck in, not so bad is it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Took your time :eek:

10. I know. That's the last time I borrow a wall planner for my projects, from you ! :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  11. That's a heavy weight rear spring too :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. To handle the power, innit. :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Weight :bucktooth:

14. It's just in case you wanted to borrow it. :bucktooth:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. @Robarano .I know you said things might need a tap with reference to your assorted hammers but a lump hammer ;). By the way as I know you like things to be tip top, bit of Red paint for the bike lift or is that just wipe off oil?

16. Anyone looking to do their swingarm but dont have fixed rear sets, switch them over so they are upside down: they they are fixed :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. A lump hammer with a light tap, actually gives you a lot of control and allows you to be more delicate. It doesn't mean you are mashing away at stuff. :upyeah:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Phew, I had visions of you banging the living daylights out of something, any update on the bike lift, appreciated.

19. I've got some prime axminster ordered for the lift table. :) :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Lovely job mate, what’s the weight difference between them. Are you concerned about significantly altering the weight balance of the bike?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information