1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Back From Italy

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Light Buzzyear, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Buonjiorno

Just got back from a two week trip to the bike's homeland. went through Belgium, Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Italy (4 days), Switzerland, France (2 days), Belgium again then ferry to Hull via Zeebrugge. Weather was hot, very hot in fact. The highest temperature recorded on the bikes screen was 41 degrees and in the main in Italy registered 37/8 degrees! I took the plunge and rode in t-shirts and light walking trousers which was very liberating indeed!

So what about the bike? She was fully loaded in all panniers and large tank bag as well as the missus and me plus all riding gear = heavy. I have to say for the first two days of the trip I really wasn't thinking too much of the bike to be honest. Motorway through Belgium I found it to be a bit lumpy and a little lacking in roll on power. My reference here is a K1600GT that took motorway travel at a canter. The Multi was good but not great. On arrival in Luxembourg and off the motorways it felt better and more at home but again not great. On the plus side the bike's handling didn't appear to be affected by the weight in any way shape or form and as the roads tightened the bike lapped it up.

The mountain roads in the black forest are great biking roads and after a rest overnight and at a more brisk pace the bike felt more at ease (or should I say I felt more at ease). Into the flowing roads of Switzerland and then the mountain passes I began to appreciate the fact I wasn't on the big beemer and the bike turned in like it was on a make me happy mission. I spoke to a couple of lads who were on the tour with me and they had been owners of big twins. They said my riding style was all wrong for the bike. They felt I was trying to ride it like a four cylinder and suggested I kick it down and ride in a higher rev band and more like a sport bike than a big tourer. I did! The bike was much improved after that - brilliant in fact! I loved it from then on and left the tour knowing I was on a truly great piece of kit - built for cornering and seemingly unaffected by the additional weight load.

Starting - Positive. Can't remember it faltering once to be honest. She turns very slowly but never failed to start first time.

Speedo screen - positive. Great for seeing detail even in high sun. Easy to change modes (and boy do they make a difference). Only negative is that when filling up I kept throwing my gloves onto the console and screen and boy does that thing scratch easily! Beware.

Riding position - Positive. My arse cheeks were good for about an hour and a half which for me was good. The seat is comfy enough and there are options for different sitting positions. Only negative - I kicked the centre stand occasionally when riding on the balls of my feet.

Engine - Very Positive. But only when I learned to work it. I'm told all twin engines require working up and down the box which I wasn't doing, especially with the additional weight. In the heat the engine was running at times at 105 degrees which was very hot on the knees! Ok on the move but as soon as she stood still the temp soared.

Gearbox - Positive although I did hit quite a few false neutrals between four and five. other than that no problems.

Tyres - Positive. standard 2nd generation Scorpion trails. This was an area I was a little concerned about before we left but I have to say I was impressed with the feel and handling. Didn't really get much wet weather to consider but the odd damp day I never noticed any straying off line. The tyres also look good for another couple of thousand miles (2,500 done so far).

Pannier inner bags - A real plus! I managed to get 10 t-shirts, three pairs of trousers, 10 pairs of skiddies, 5 pairs of socks in the smallest pannier! Ha! Ok, rolled to GI servicemen standard admittedly but all in there. I was so pleased I took them with me as I was considering just taking the panniers off the bike every night. Great choice to take them!

Pillion Perspective - Positive. The missus thought the bike was very comfortable (she stated as comfortable as the BMW) but with a little less room between me and her which is understandable as the K16 is a massive bike. She absolutely loved the hassle free car park and u-turns and commented how agile she felt the bike was on the twisties. She did find it a little vibrating at certain revs but it didnt last long, I was surprised how much she enjoyed it to be honest and if anyone has any reservations about touring two up fully loaded on this bike - don't! The bike handles everything thrown at it.

Best bits.
    The handling is without doubt to me the best thing about this bike. It really is a gem of a thing to turn even fully loaded. The bike is a sexy looking bike - beautiful and turned out to be in the lens of more cameras than any other bike on the tour. I very nearly opted for a GS Adventure. I parked next to one on the ferry. I'm so glad I made the choice I made. I cant imagine having as much fun on any other bike.

pics.
    045.JPG 119.JPG 128.JPG IMG_0823.JPG 218.JPG
    A man can consider himself lucky if he has a beautiful lady in his life. I'm extremely luck - I have two!
    Apologies for the long thread but we had a great time!

• Like Like x 21
  2. ;)

#2 Hyperextended, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  3. Great write up, thank you. Reads like a fantastic trip on the perfect bike for touring?

4. Your daughter looks lovely :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Martin P: The bike is perfect for touring, even two up. It sits in between ultra comfort and ultra fun but stands perfectly in the top end of both and looks a million dollars into the bargain. I must say I was impressed the way it handled two up. Motorcycling is measured in small percentages and every bike is a bit of a compromise from another. Some are better at some things than others. I chose this bike because I wanted a bike I could go out and have a blast on locally for fun alone but also one that would take me and full luggage plus the missus (er daughter) touring across Europe - also with fun included. I think I found pretty much the best fit our there at present.

Oh and yes El Toro, my daughter is lovely thanks for noticing :D.

6. I saw some vids where people are using 6th gear at 100kph. Regardless the DVT I think that's the wrong way to ride this bike. Nowadays even with load I'd use up to 4th gear until 150kph and 5th and 6th for over these speeds. The optimum travelling speed revs in the Multis I'd say is closer to 6k rpm rather than 5k which applies to most 4 cylinder engines. It appears also that there's less vibration at this range than in lower rpms.
    Nice trip and great looking bike LP!

7. Good write up. I'd imagine just the capacity difference between 1600 and the 1200 Multi will mean you have to work it some more.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Royal, it is Donington, not Donnington!

#8 nuttsmutts, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  9. nice write up and good to see the DRE use the right coloured bike :Smuggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think I was there the same time as you. Bloody hot wasn't it. I agree with everything you wrote. I too nearly bought the GSA. Try using washable base layers instead of taking so many T shirts that all take up space and add weight. I used a Revit base layer shirt which I washed each hotel stop in the sink and was ready the next day. I also don't chance shirtsleeve riding. I bought Dainese's Explorer jacket which zips out major panels, and that kept me as cool as I needed.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information