1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back Road Bike Ideas.

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Mick-Bob, Oct 23, 2021.

1. This kind of leads on from the 200bhp sports bike thread...

I am going to wear out my old Suzuki in no time if I keep using it the way I have been so, can anyone give me some ideas about a bike to use for back road riding please. I'm wanting something light weight, upright and I am guessing something like 30 or 40 bhp. Not a proper off-roader though, more of a road bike.

The Suzuki DRZ-400 SM springs to mind. I do hate the modern plastic looks of them but you can't see much of it when riding the thing and they seem to be well liked.

2. I like the look of a Fantic Caballero 500 (also 250/ 125 available

#2 Jez900ie, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. KTM 390 adventure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KTM 690 Duke, great fun goofing around the back roads on it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Something fairly light that has suspension to manage the bumps

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I've got an 07 DRZ400SM and I absolutely love it. Perfect for exploring the back roads but will also give any bike a run for its money on a twisty A road

7. Thanks for the info. and ideas - the search is on over winter.

8. I'll see your KTM 690 Duke and raise you a KTM 990 ADV.

I've had mine for 15 years, it is, without doubt, the most fun I have had with my clothes on. Anywhere you want it go it will take you. Twisties, tick. Rough tracks, tick. Mountainous and curvy? Tick.

Many A time I have give a sports biker a shock as I catch and pass em with a wee nod. How? I can see what's coming afore they can; simples.

Highly recommended. You'd have to be quick mind, they are going up in price and my 50 000 miler would set you back the thick end of £5K.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. The laughing is for the thought of a 50,000 mile KTM being worth anything like 5k :p

10. Don't judge until you see my friend, you would be surprised at it's condition, as every other rider I speak to is. Minted, FSH, full luggage, Ti cans, loads of extras and cleaner than my weans and most bikes on the road; guaranteed. Just go and look at the units for sale, if you can find a decent one that is.

On a serious note it is obvious that the price for a decent set of wheels 2nd hand is climbing rapidly.

I have been keeping a weather eye out for a decent dirt bike of late and the prices people are asking are, frankly, taking the piss. I can only put it down to a scramble (no pun intended) to get out and ride in these harsh times coupled with the quite ludicrous, not to say off putting prices for new bikes; see my post about a nice Ducati earlier today. The law of supply and demand I s'pose.

So, if anybody has a nice dirtbike/enduro they want rid of, let me know...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fantic Caballeros do look kind of neat but I am not too sure about engines made in China. At least the frame isn't though (that is the bit that seems to fail first on a lot of Chinese bikes).

I have looked at various KTMs on and off over the past few years and one thing that really puts me of is the look of many of them. But, as I've said, when riding it you can't see much of it. I do fancy a 300 2-stroke but it would be a bit wearing using it as a road bike once the initial novelty wore off even with upped gearing and more road type tyres. Probably not much tank range on them either.

Husqvarna Svartpilen 701s sound like fun and a half. 74bhp from a single cylinder with light weight. I have seen a 401 going about and thought it weird looking but the 701 is a bit less so. One of them would cover most bases. I could keep the CG125 for salty road shopping trips and get rid of all the other bikes - eventually/if required/possibly/(na, I'll just keep them!).

I really like what I have heard about the DRZ400SM but finding a good one that has not been thrashed by some urban road warrior might prove difficult. It is on the list though.

I also like the Japanese home market Honda FTR223 but 20bhp is a bit lacking for what I want.

Svartpilen 701s seem to be growing on me. I wouldn't be buying new, partly to do with cost but also with the complexity of modern motorcycles I want one that has had any problems sorted out before I go exploring in the back of beyond. Might try and get a test ride somewhere, if I can.

12. I found privately, a completely standard Drz400sm with just over 2500 miles on the clock, it hadn't been ridden for a few years and not thrashed. They are about, but go for around £3700 +

13. Kawasaki H2R. Stop fucking about.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Husky 510SMR. The DRZ400 will bore the pants of you. Anyone who can't shake off a drz400, should stick to buses. Makes a decent commuter tho.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tbh a multi is a great back road bike with skyhook. Ok it’s heavier etc but it’s all grunt and wide bars mean very easy to ride. Imho pre DVT is best

16. Whatever I end up buying it probably won't be from anywhere near here (had to go south of York to get my W650) - what is for sale locally is usually pretty desperate and vastly overpriced: classics that are not classics - just old, worn out scramblers where "V5 needs applied for", plastic crotch rockets that the novelty has worn off of and anything 2-stroke just makes me laugh out loud - HOW MUCH? - get a fu**ing grip you chancer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. £35k for a 998R. I see your point ;)

18. Aprilia SXV 550?

19. KTM SuperDuke 1290

Do Not Sell My Personal Information