1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back To A Ducati

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Mike Potter, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Hi all,
    So into my third Ducati, the 1st being an 1199s Tricolore and the second being a Monster 1200S. Now on a 2001 996. Very different to most of the modern bikes I’ve owned but as I mostly ride on the road now it’s more than enough.

After owning it for around 3 weeks and setting up the bike I noticed I could get the sag number reasonable but winding all the preload in. Seems odd is in 14 stone and pretty confident (unless the bike had been re sprung) that 10 rate spring where used which should be ideal.

This may have been a culprit in my off ( I maybe clutching at straws)with the bike not being willing to turn, heading for the outside of the corner to meet a fence. Had to stand the bike up to get on the brakes (which clearly made things worse) and resulted in my being chucked over the bars. Luckily I’m okay and the bike pretty much had stopped and fell over.

Had the forks off to check and the LHS fork had the white preload bushing stuffed halfway down the spacer. Didn’t even need to compress the spring to take it apart. So RHS fork had all the preload in just to cope with the left having none.

So, now rebuilding the bike (it’s yellow) and in need of some bits. Most urgently being a RHS fairing stay.

Hopefully she will be back on the road soon all be it with a lighter pocket.

Thanks
    Mike

2. hi and welcome

3. Hi pottering mike

Change to red much better colour :) don’t forget our bin pics we like them and it keeps me happy

Welcome into our mad house

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. That was a knockout punch with the colour thing Viv,:upyeah:

#5 XH558, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Hello :upyeah:, sorry to hear about your off but your OK and that's the main thing!!

6. Thanks all. Hurt my shoulder and wrist is still sore. Helmet did it’s job as I felt my head bounce off the tarmac. Could have been much worse.

The plan is to go to red. Thinking about some bodywork from SuperBike bodywork. Seems reasonably priced and looks good. The cost of a replacement tank is about the cost of repainting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Welcome dude :cool::upyeah:

8. Welcome dude, sorry to hear about the off but sounds like plastic and pride only got damaged :upyeah:

9. Hi and welcome

10. Welcome, sorry to hear about your off. Enjoy the forum!

11. Welcome to the forum

12. Welcome to the forum

13. Welcome to the Forum Mike:upyeah:

14. welcome, glad you're ok

15. Welcome , hope you feel better soon.

16. Hi and welcome to the Ducati forum sorry to hear about off

Do Not Sell My Personal Information